PGA TOURLeaderboardWatch + ListenNewsFedExCupSchedulePlayersStatsGolfbetSignature EventsComcast Business TOUR TOP 10Aon Better DecisionsDP World Tour Eligibility RankingsHow It WorksPGA TOUR TrainingTicketsShopPGA TOURPGA TOUR ChampionsKorn Ferry TourPGA TOUR AmericasLPGA TOURDP World TourPGA TOUR University

Updates: Tiger Woods posts first photo since car crash

7 Min Read


Updates: Tiger Woods posts first photo since car crash

    Written by Staff

    Update on April 23

    On Friday, Tiger Woods posted the first picture of himself since his Southern California car accident. He was on crutches and his right leg was in a cast as he stood next to his dog, Bugs.

    “My course is coming along faster than I am. But it’s nice to have a faithful rehab partner, man’s best friend,” Woods wrote, referring to his backyard practice course. A rod was inserted into his right tibia because of multiple fractures, and screws and pins were inserted into his right foot and ankle.

    The only other post on his Instagram feed since the accident was a picture of The Hay, the recently reopened par-3 course at Pebble Beach that Woods’ design company redesigned.

    Update on April 7

    Tiger Woods tweeted an update following his traffic accident in February and thanked those who assisted him.

    Update on March 16:

    Tiger Woods is back at home in Florida to continue his recovery from leg injuries suffered in a single car accident in Los Angeles last month.

    The 82-time PGA TOUR winner wrote on social media that he had been released from hospital care in California and was back in his state of residence on the East Coast.

    He used the opportunity to thank those helping him through the process of healing from the comminuted open fractures in both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula, and extensive damage to his ankle, suffered when his vehicle rolled over.

    “Happy to report that I am back home and continuing my recovery. I am so grateful for the outpouring of support and encouragement that I have received over the past few weeks,” Woods said in his statement.

    “Thank you to the incredible surgeons, doctors, nurses and staff at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. You have all taken such great care of me and I cannot thank you enough.”

    Woods gave no update on the progress of his recovery other than to say, “I will be recovering at home and working on getting stronger every day.”

    Update on March 10:

    Speaking ahead of his title defense at THE PLAYERS Championship, Rory McIlroy revealed Tiger Woods is hopeful of returning home to Florida in the near future.

    Joining Jimmy Fallon on "The Tonight Show", McIlroy revealed the 82-time PGA TOUR winner has been talking about making the move from his hospital bed in Los Angeles back to Florida to continue his recovery from the accident.

    “I’ve spoken to him a little bit,” McIlroy said. “He’s doing better. I think all the guys have reached out to him. Hopefully if things go well over the next week or so, he might be able to get home and start recovery at home, which would be great for him. See his kids, see his family. But yeah, he’s doing better. And I think all of us are wishing him a speedy recovery at this point.”

    McIlroy also revealed Woods’ trademark humor and ribbing hasn’t diminished since he suffered multiple leg fractures in the single-vehicle accident. The Northern Irishman received texts during and after the final round at the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard where he was in contention before fading to a T10 finish.

    “He texted me some words of encouragement before the final round of Bay Hill on Sunday,” McIlroy added. “And things didn’t quite go to plan, and he was the first one to text me and be like, ‘What’s going on here?’ So even from the hospital bed, he’s still giving me some heat.”

    Update on February 28:

    RELATED:TOUR players, sports world, celebrities wish Woods well

    Update on February 24:

    Tiger Woods suffered significant injuries to his right leg and remains hospitalized after a single-car accident in Rancho Palos Verdes on Tuesday morning.

    The 82-time PGA TOUR winner underwent surgery after suffering comminuted open fractures to the upper and lower sections of his right leg along with significant trauma to his ankle.

    “As previously communicated, Tiger was involved in a single-car accident earlier (Tuesday) morning in California. He has undergone a long surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle after being brought to the hospital,” a statement on Woods’ Twitter account from the TGR foundation team read, before passing on an update on his condition from the hospital.

    “Mr. Woods suffered significant orthopedic injuries to his right lower extremity that were treated during emergency surgery by Orthopedic trauma specialists at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, a level one trauma center,” Dr. Anish Mahajan, Chief Medical Officer & Interim CEO at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center added.

    “Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle was stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.”

    The statement closed by confirming Woods is in recovery.

    “He's currently awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room. Thank you to the wonderful doctors and hospital staff at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s department and the Fire Department. Your support and assistance has been outstanding.

    “There are no further updates at this time and we continue to thank you for your well-wishes and privacy for him and his family.”

    Woods, who was in town to host The Genesis Invitational last week, was driving alone in an SUV when his vehicle rolled over while traveling northbound on Hawthorne Boulevard, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said via statement earlier Tuesday.

    “On February 23, 2021, at approximately 7:12 AM LASD responded to a single vehicle roll-over traffic collision on the border of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes. The vehicle was traveling northbound on Hawthorne Boulevard at Blackhorse Road, when it crashed. The vehicle sustained major damage,” the statement read in part.

    “The driver and sole occupant was identified as PGA (TOUR) golfer Eldrick 'Tiger' Woods. Mr. Woods was extricated from the wreck … then transported to a local hospital by ambulance for his injuries.”

    The Sheriff’s Department said Woods was conscious when first responders reached his side and was calm and lucid. He was extricated with the help of a Halligan tube (pry bar) and an axe to get him through the front windshield before being transported to the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

    “He was alive, and he was conscious. There was no evidence of impairment at the scene,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon.

    Deputy Carlos Gonzalez, the first to respond to the scene, confirmed Woods was wearing his seatbelt.

    “The fact that he was wearing his seatbelt, I would say, it greatly increased the likelihood it saved his life.” Gonzalez said.

    PGA TOUR commissioner Jay Monahan said the entire TOUR community had Woods’ well-being in their thoughts.

    “We have been made aware of Tiger Woods’ car accident today. We are awaiting further information when he comes out of surgery. On behalf of the PGA TOUR and our players, Tiger is in our prayers and will have our full support as he recovers,” Monahan said via statement.

    The 45-year-old Woods stayed back after the tournament to film GOLFTV content that included giving celebrities golf lessons – actors David Spade and Jada Pinkett Smith were among those who tweeted about their encounters on Monday prior to the accident.

    On Sunday Woods told the CBS broadcast he was unsure of when he would return from his recent back surgery, a fifth such procedure since April 2017. The last time he played competitive golf was with his son Charlie in December’s PNC Championship.

    “I'm feeling fine,” Woods said Sunday. “I'm a little bit stiff. I have one more MRI scheduled so that we'll see if the annulus (fibrosus) is scarred over finally and see if I can start doing more activities. But still in the gym, still doing the mundane stuff that you have to do for rehab, the little things before I can start gravitating towards something a little more."

    Privacy PolicyTerms of UseAccessibility StatementDo Not Sell or Share My Personal InformationCookie ChoicesSitemap

    Copyright © 2024 PGA TOUR, Inc. All rights reserved.

    PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions, and the Swinging Golfer design are registered trademarks. The Korn Ferry trademark is also a registered trademark, and is used in the Korn Ferry Tour logo with permission.