Featured groups for Schwab Cup Championship
November 08, 2018
By Bret Lasky, PGATOUR.COM
- November 08, 2018
One is going for his unprecedented fifth Charles Schwab Cup title and the other is going for his first.
Bernhard Langer and Scott Parel will be paired together on Thursday in the first round of the Charles Schwab Cup Championship at Phoenix Country Club.
The equation is simple.
If either Langer or Parel wins, they'll win the Schwab Cup.
Getting to Sunday is the hard part.
"I'm certainly the underdog, so I'm not too worried about it, but my expectations are to play well," said Parel on Wednesday. "Whether it's good enough to catch Mr. Langer, I don't know. We'll have to see what he does."
Langer is the veteran and the man everyone is chasing.
"I have a big lead over some, but slim lead over others," said Langer at his press conference on Wednesday. "The easiest way would be to win the tournament and you don't have to worry about anything else."
Meanwhile Parel is just excited to try and accomplish something he never thought possible.
"It (to win) would be beyond my wildest dreams," said Parel. "It's already going to be the best year no matter what happens, which at least helps take some of the pressure off."
Miguel Angel Jimenez, Jerry Kelly, Scott McCarron and David Toms also have a chance to hoist the cup on Sunday.
Thursday – 1:05 p.m. MST (No. 1 tee)
- Scott McCarron (5) – McCarron has two wins this season, bringing his career total to eight.
- David Toms (6) – Toms captured his first title on PGA TOUR Champions when he won the U.S. Senior Open.
Thursday – 1:15 p.m. MST (No. 1 tee)
- Miguel Angel Jimenez (3) – Jimenez won the Regions Tradition and The Senior Open Championship, and he was the only player to post top-10 finishes in all five majors.
- Jerry Kelly (4) – Kelly’s win at the season-opening Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai was one of his 11 top-10s, and he topped the standings a Tour-best nine weeks this season.
Thursday – 1:25 p.m. MST (No. 1 tee)
The only other time Langer and Parel have played together was in the final round of the 2017 Regions Tradition (Langer shot 64 and won; Parel shot 70 and finished T2).
- Bernhard Langer (1) – Langer is a four-time winner of the Charles Schwab Cup, but he has not won the Charles Schwab Cup Championship in 10 previous starts.
- Scott Parel (2) – Parel is coming off a win at the Invesco QQQ Championship, his second victory of the season. In his last eight starts, he has two wins and two runner-up.