Port Washington, N.Y. -- Power-golfer Bubba Watson, who currently ranks first on the PGA TOUR in driving distance and was a top-five finisher at the 2007 U.S. Open, is bringing his game to Steve & Barry's® stores nationwide with the launch Tuesday of the affordable apparel line bubbagolf"!.
Exclusively available at the retailer's 200+ stores beginning July 10, bubbagolf features high-quality, low-priced golf and casual apparel, with each item selling at $14.98 or below. The collection of more than 30 pieces blends Watson's irreverent attitude and fast-rising success in professional golf with Steve & Barry's groundbreaking achievements in bringing to market great-looking, comfortable clothing at prices substantially below industry norms.
The launch of bubbagolf follows Steve & Barry's triumphant partnership last year with NBA® basketball star Stephon Marbury on the Starbury"! Collection of affordably priced sneakers and clothes. Last month, the company launched the BITTENTM Collection with actress and global fashion icon Sarah Jessica Parker.
Watson tied for fifth place in the 2007 U.S. Open in June. Currently 24th in FedExCup points with five top-10 finishes in 2007 and known for his pink-shafted driver, Watson is one of professional golf's fastest-rising, most popular stars. Having grown up in a family of modest means, Watson understands the daily struggle most Americans face to wear the best clothing, but don't have the money to do so.
"My parents usually went without so they could afford to get me started in the expensive game of golf," said Watson. "The high prices of equipment and greens fees are enough of a barrier to getting started. Players shouldn't have to worry about the cost of buying clothes that look right for the course and feel great when you're outside. With Steve & Barry's, we've created an apparel line loaded with affordable, high quality, comfortable clothing that looks as good or better than what's commonly found in pro shops, but costs a lot less."
The bubbagolf line features quality construction and technical elements golfers have come to expect from expensive pro-shop brands, but at price points of $14.98 or less. Highlights from the bubbagolf line include:
• Performance Pants and Shorts: Appropriate for on or off the golf course, these pieces incorporate a unique wrinkle-resistant fabric that maintains a crisp appearance throughout the day.
• Dry PerformanceTM Synthetic Polos: Ground breaking in terms of both price and technology. Available in three-button or zip-neck styles and a variety of prints and fabric constructions. These technical polos utilize Steve & Barry's Dry Performance fabric technology to wick moisture away from the body so golfers stay cool and dry on the course.
• Cotton Polos: Short-sleeve stylish polo shirts constructed of double mercerized cotton, these odor-resistant shirts hold their color wash after wash. Available in a variety of prints and colorways, many also incorporate spill-resistant treatments and no-roll collars.
• Windshirts: Lightweight, wind and water-resistant shirts that let players focus on their drive and not the weather. Available in long-sleeve and sleeveless models.
• Cotton T's: Slogans and graphics that bring Bubba's refreshing attitude toward the game off the course.
bubbagolf also features a line of golf hats and visors. For visuals of the product line, visit www.bubbawatson.com/product.html.
While not the first time Steve & Barry's has sold polo-style shirts, the bubbagolf line of apparel and accessories represents the company's first venture into the signature golf market.
"Extending into golf and partnering with Bubba was a natural step in Steve & Barry's progression," said company CEO Barry Prevor. "We've set new standards in the worlds of fashion and footwear through our partnerships with superstars Stephon Marbury and Sarah Jessica Parker. Bubba is an exceptional, admirable athlete, and with the bubbagolf line, we will make a great sport more accessible to golf enthusiasts and all consumers who want quality, stylish leisure wear at very reasonable prices."