IRVING, Texas -- HP Byron Nelson Championship officials are making plans to honor Byron Nelson in a variety of ways in 2012. The Championship's legendary namesake would have turned 100 on Feb. 4. A special ticket offer priced at $100, a social media campaign and a number of displays and activities at the 2012 HPBNC will celebrate Nelson's tremendous legacy and influence.
"It says a lot about Byron that his legacy is still felt in our community and beyond," said Robert Smith, 2012 tournament chairman. "Both on-site at the tournament and through social media, we will provide opportunities for our spectators and fans to celebrate this great man and everything he stood for."
HPBNC officials have created a $100 exclusive ticket package in honor of Nelson's 100th. Available Feb. 3-29, the package offers a 50 percent savings off the regular retail price and includes four any day tickets to the Championship, $20 in food and beverage vouchers and complimentary parking. Packages will be available at hpbnc.org.
Additional ways that Nelson's legacy will be celebrated include:
• A social media campaign will be launched this Friday and continue for the next 100 days leading up to the start of the 2012 HPBNC, providing interesting facts about the life and accomplishments of Byron Nelson. Connect with the HPBNC: facebook.com/hpbnc and twitter.com/hpbnc.
• The Byron Nelson Tribute: this special tribute will be located within the HP Technology Zone along Champions Way and will feature both static and video displays showcasing the life and accomplishments of Nelson.
• The official tournament program will feature a multi-page special section with exclusive information and tributes to Nelson.
• Students from the Byron Nelson High School will be on-site working with the Salesmanship Club in many areas, including serving as ball spotters for the Wednesday Gold Pro-Am.
• Various quotes and facts about and from Nelson will be placed on signage throughout the Championship grounds and on tournament video boards.
• Tuesday's Opening Ceremony will once again be open to the public and will be moved to the circle surrounding Byron Nelson's statue, which was dedicated on the grounds of the Four Seasons on Nelson's 80th birthday. In addition to the presentation of the Byron Nelson Prize, the opening ceremony will include a special presentation in honor of Byron's birthday.
• Special activities related to Byron's life and accomplishments will be available for kids to learn more about this legendary man in the KidsZone.
The 2012 HP Byron Nelson Championship will be played May 14-20 at the TPC Four Seasons Resort and Club Las Colinas in Irving.