Round 3 Notebook: Frys.comtext sizeOctober 16, 2010
Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Partly cloudy with a high of 87. Winds W 5-10 mph.
• Due to fog, the start of the third round was delayed by 45 minutes until 9:33 a.m. The 2010 Frys.com Open is the 24th event of the season to be impacted by a delay/suspension of play.
Rocco Mediate (64-65-67)
• For the third consecutive day, Rocco Mediate holed out for an eagle en route to a 4-under 67. He will take a 3-stroke lead into the final round. Mediate carded an ace at the par-3 third hole in round one, an eagle-two at the fourth hole in round two, and followed that with a 111-yard hole-out for an eagle-three on the par-5 15th hole in round three. The last time such a feat was achieved was by Tiger Woods at the 1998 Sprint INTERNATIONAL.
• The last player to make an ace and go on to win was Richard S. Johnson at the 2008 U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee.
• Should he win, at 47 years, 10 months, Mediate would be the oldest winner on TOUR since Kenny Perry, who won the 2009 Travelers Championship at 48 years, 10 months.
• Mediate has held at least a share of the 54-lead six previous times, most recently the 2002 Wyndham Championship. He parlayed that 54-lead into his fifth and most recent PGA TOUR win. This is his 193rd start since that last victory.
• The largest 54-hole lead of the year belongs to Steve Stricker, who led by six strokes headed into the final round at the Northern Trust Open, as well as the John Deere Classic. Both resulted in victory.
• The 54-hole leader has gone on to win 18 of 42 times so far this season, with the most recent being Heath Slocum at last week's McGladrey Classic.
Bo Van Pelt (65-69-65, 14-under, 2nd)
• Playing in his fourth consecutive Frys.com Open, Bo Van Pelt fired a third-round, 6-under 65 to get to 14-under, trailing the lead by three strokes headed into the final round.
• Van Pelt is making his 28thstart of the season this week. Of the previous 27 starts, he has missed just four cuts, the best percentage of made cuts since his rookie year of 1999. Van Pelt has posted three top-10 finishes this year, including a T6 at last week's McGladrey Classic.
• Van Pelt is in search of his second PGA TOUR win. He previously won last year's U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee.
Alex Prugh (69-66-66, 12-under, T3)
• In his rookie year, Alex Prugh ballooned towards the top of the leaderboard in round three with five consecutive birdies en route to a 5-under. At 12-under, he trails Rocco Mediate's lead by five strokes.
• Prugh's round was highlighted by an eagle-two after hitting his tee shot to within two feet at the 298-yard, par-4 17th with a 3-wood.
Rickie Fowler (69-65-68, 11-under, 5th)
• Fowler has amassed a pair of runner-up finishes this year. He followed a runner-up finish at the Waste Management Phoenix Open with a second at the Memorial Tournament.
Dean Wilson (69-64-70, 10-under T6)
• Dean Wilson is making his 16thstart this week. Of the previous 15, his best finish was a runner-up finish at the RBC Canadian Open.
• In search of his second win since the 2006 INTERNATIONAL, Wilson is making his 232nd career start this week.
John Mallinger (66-69-68, 10-under, T6)
• John Mallinger is making his 27thstart of the season, with his best finish being a T3 at the Wyndham Championship. His best career finish came with second-place honors at the 2009 U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee.
• Mallinger has competed in each of the three previous Frys.com Opens, having never missed a cut. His best finish of the three was a T20 in 2008.
David Duval (68-65-71, 9-under, T11)
• David Duval is making his 23rdstart of the season, with his best finish being a T2 at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Currently at No. 109 on the Official Money List, Duval is virtually a lock to finish inside the top-125 to earn his TOUR card for the 2011 season.
• A 13-time PGA TOUR winner, including the 1999 PLAYERS Championship and 2001 British Open, Duval is looking for his first win since that 2001 British Open win at Royal Lytham & St. Annes in England.
Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 35.351 36.137 71.489 --- Friday 35.234 35.211 70.445 70.973 Saturday 35.329 34.685 70.014 70.762
• Scoring Averages at the par-71 CordeValle Golf Club: