Round 3 Notebook: McGladrey Classictext sizeOctober 09, 2010
John Bush, PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Mostly sunny. High of 82. Winds light and variable.
• Heath Slocum carded a 4-under 66 on Saturday to move to 12-under 198 at the inaugural McGladrey Classic -- the second of the five-event PGA TOUR Fall Series. He'll enter the final 18 holes with a one-stroke lead over Troy Merritt (64) and Joe Durant (68).
• Heath Slocum has four top-10 finishes in 23 previous starts and a season-best T4 at the THE PLAYERS (T4). His only missed cuts in 24 starts came at the Transitions Championship and the U.S. Open.
• Slocum has held the third-round lead/co-lead three previous times on the PGA TOUR: 2002 Touchstone Energy Tucson Open (T6), 2004 Chrysler Classic of Tucson (1) and the 2007 Transitions Championship (T2).
• Slocum entered the week with 11 consecutive rounds in the 70s. He has three sub-70 rounds so far this week (66-66-66).
• Slocum bogeyed his first hole on Thursday (No. 10) and then played 50 holes without a bogey until doing so on the par-4 16th hole on Saturday.
• PGA TOUR rookie and 2009 PGA TOUR Qualifying Tournament Medalist Troy Merritt posted his second 6-under 64 of the week (64-71-64) to move to 11-under 199. His previous best round on TOUR was a 65 during the opening round of the Sony Open in Hawaii -- the first round of his career on TOUR.
• Merritt is making his 26thstart of the season, with a third-place finish at the Zurich Classic of New Orleans his lone top-10 finish. He sits No. 123 on the official money list.
• Merritt birdied Kodak Challenge Hole No. 13 on Saturday to move to 14-under and into a tie with Rickie Fowler in the $1 million, season-long competition.
• Through 16 events this season Joe Durant has three top-25 finishes, three of which have come in his last two starts, finishing T12 at the Wyndham Championship and T20 at the Viking Classic. He enjoyed his season-best finish at the Mayakoba Classic (T2).
• Currently No. 131 on the official money list, Durant is looking for a good finish in the Fall Series to jump into the top 125 to secure his PGA TOUR card for 2011. He has not finished inside the top 125 on the money list since a career-best 13thplace finish in 2006.
• David Toms, who is making his 493rdstart of his TOUR career, is seeking his 13th career win on the PGA TOUR and first since the 2006 Sony Open in Hawaii. He'll enter the final round two shots behind Heath Slocum.
• Toms entered the McGladrey Classic with top-15 finishes in his last two starts (T15-BMW Championship, T11-Viking Classic). He is currently No. 58 on the official money list, with a runner-up finish at the Wyndham Championship his only top-10 finish in 24 previous starts.
• Bill Haas, winner of last week's Viking Classic, moved to 9-under 201 with a third-round 5-under 65. He is seeking to become the TOUR's first player to win in back-to-back weeks since Tiger Woods won the 2009 Buick Open and World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational.
Tom Pernice Jr.
• Tom Pernice Jr. carded a 5-under 65 to move to 8-under 208 through three rounds of the McGladrey Classic. He made the cut for the 299th time this week (551 starts).
• Pernice's 65 included just one par (No. 7) on his first 12 holes.
• Pernice has made eight starts on the Champions Tour this season and has finished inside the top three in his last three starts, including runner-up finishes at the Home Care & Hospice First Tee Open at Pebble Beach and the SAS Championship.
Davis Love III
• Tournament host Davis Love III moved into contention on Saturday with a 5-under 65, jumping to 8-under and four shots behind Heath Slocum. Sunday's final round will mark Love's 2,100th official round on the PGA TOUR (619 starts).
• Love's 65 equals his best round of the season (70 rounds), which occurred in his first round of the year at the Sony Open in Hawaii (finished T5).
• The third-round leader/co-leader has gone on to win 17 of 41 stroke-play events on TOUR this year, most recently Bill Haas at the Viking Classic.
• Bogey-free rounds: * R1: 63 -- John Rollins; 65 -- Rich Barcelo; 67 -- Jeff Maggert, Paul Stankowski; 68 -- Pat Perez; 69 -- Kevin Stadler * R2: 65 -- Brian Gay, Charles Howell III; 66 -- Michael Connell, Joe Durant, Heath Slocum; 68 -- Jonathan Byrd, Matthew Goggin; 69 -- Jay Williamson. * R3: 64 -- Troy Merritt, Ken Duke; 65 -- Bill Haas; 66 -- Brendon de Jonge, J.B. Holmes; 69 -- Michael O'Neal.
• Scoring Averages at the par-70 Seaside Course:
Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 34.962 34.962 69.924 --- Friday 34.841 34.697 69.538 69.731 Saturday 34.027 34.425 68.452 69.454