Nicklaus, Player commit to Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of GolfMarch 20, 2013
SAVANNAH, Ga.- Georgia golf fans will have the rare opportunity to watch two of golf’s most decorated icons, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player, compete as a team when the Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf returns to the Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa on April 22-28.
The World Golf Hall of Fame members will compete in the Demaret Division on Monday, April 22, and Tuesday, April 23. The tournament will once again be offering free admission on those two days.
With a competitive career that spanned five decades, Nicklaus has amassed 120 professional wins, a record 18 major championship titles, and golf’s coveted Grand Slam title. Despite playing a limited schedule after joining the Champions Tour in 1990, he went on to collect 10 additional titles, including a record eight major championships. Nicklaus’ last start at the Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf was 2001 and he will be competing for the first time in the Demaret Division for players age 70+.
“I don’t play competitively any more but I still like to compete, and there is nothing I will enjoy more than doing so with my long-time friend Gary Player as a partner,” Nicklaus said. “Last May, Gary and I reunited with Arnold (Palmer) for a one-day event as part of the Insperity Championship in Houston, and we had a great time. After that event, Gary and I talked about getting together in the Liberty Mutual, and here we are. Because I don’t play much golf these days, I don’t know how good the golf will be, but I can promise you that Gary and I will have a good time. I look forward to it.”
The winner of 165 titles around the world including 24 PGA TOUR events and nine majors, South African native Player is also one of just five players in history to capture a career Grand Slam. A 19-time winner on the Champions Tour, Player captured back-to-back Demaret Division titles at the 2009 and 2010 Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf with then-partner Bob Charles.
“The Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf is one of my favorite tournaments to compete in each year and to have my good friend Jack Nicklaus as a partner this year is a delight,” said Player. “I have had success at the tournament in the past, but I’m certain we will be strong contenders this year in the Demaret Division. I look forward to teeing off this April.”
Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf defending champions, Michael Allen and David Frost, addressed members of the local media via video message and announced they will be back to defend their Legends Division title.
Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf executive director, Joe Rotellini, served as host of Media Day and provided a preview of this year’s event, which will mark the tournament’s 11th year in Savannah.
In addition to the tournament’s title sponsor, Liberty Mutual Insurance, who has been a partner of the Champions Tour for the past 34 years, Rotellini highlighted official sponsorships with Southern Company, Lexus (Chatham Parkway and Hilton Head), Coca-Cola, Miller/Coors and St. Joseph/Candler.
Rotellini also announced the following commitments, with many more to follow in the coming weeks:
Michael Allen/David Frost (2012 champions)
David Eger/Mark McNulty (2011 champions)
Mark O’Meara/Nick Price (2010 champions)
Bernhard Langer/Tom Lehman (2009 champions)
Tom Watson/Andy North (2008 champions)
Steve Elkington/Rocco Mediate (2013 rookies)
Mark James/Des Smyth (2012 Raphael champs)
Jack Nicklaus/Gary Player (new for 2013)
Gibby Gilbert/JC Snead (2012 Demaret champs)
Additional announcements from Media Day included:
• CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTIONS: Since the tournament’s arrival in Savannah in 2003, the event has raised over $1.65 million for charities in the region.
• COMPLIMENTARY YOUTH ADMISSION: All youth under the age of 18 will be admitted free with a ticket-holding adult.
• FREE FRIDAY NIGHT CONCERT: Liberty Mutual Insurance will offer a free community concert featuring multi-platinum and award-winning country quartet Lonestar to held on site at the Westin Savannah Harbor driving range on Friday, April 26. Additional details will be announced in the coming weeks.
• MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY: Complimentary admission will be offered for the entire week to active duty, retired, and Reserve military personnel and their dependents. Tickets may be downloaded in advanced by visiting birdiesforthebrave.org or military members may present their government issued identification card at the gate in exchange for a grounds ticket.
• SUNRISE SERVICE: The Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf will host a non-denominational sunrise service prior to the final round of the event on Sunday, April 28. The service will take place at 7:15 am. on No. 18 green with complimentary refreshments to follow and is open to the public. Gates will be open at 6:30 am and complimentary admission will be offered until 7:15 am. Anyone attending the service is welcome to stay for the final round of the Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf free of charge.
Spectator tickets are now on sale with special advance prices starting at $15.00. Weeklong ticket packages are $75.00 and include two Good Any Day grounds tickets and one ticket with access to the River Club, a climate-controlled hospitality pavilion offering a variety of food for purchase, premium cash bar, large screen televisions and views of the 1st and 10th tee on Friday-Sunday. Tickets may be purchased by visiting the tournament's web site at www.LMILOG.com.