Round 2 Notebook: Regions TraditionJune 08, 2012
Phil Stambaugh, Champions Tour Staff
Weather: Sunny with high temperatures in the mid-80s and light winds from the ESE in the afternoon at 5-10 mph.
• Bill Glasson hit every fairway at Shoal Creek on Friday and it led to a 3-under 69 that gives him a two-stroke lead over Russ Cochran at the halfway mark of the 2012 Regions Tradition. Glasson's round included four birdies. His lone bogey at the par-3 16thhole ended a run of 34 consecutive holes without a blemish dating back to the final round of last week's Principal Charity Classic in Iowa. With Glasson posted at 9-under 135 through the first 36 holes, Cochran recovered from his only bogey of the day at No. 10, making three birdies over his last eight holes (Nos. 12, 15, 16) to pull within two.
Round Front 9 Back 9 Driving Distance Fairways GIR Putts Thursday -2 -4 280.0 12/14 15/18 24 Friday -2 -1 269.5 14/14 12/18 31 Total -4 -5 274.8 (T28) 26/28 (1) 27/36 (T5) 52 (T3)
• Bill Glasson's stat summary through 36 holes of this year's Regions Tradition:
• Friday marks the first time Bill Glasson has been in the lead after 36 holes since the 1994 TOUR Championship and he went on to finish T4. Glasson won seven titles on the PGA TOUR but his only victory from this position came at the 1989 Doral-Ryder Open.
• Glasson made his debut on the Champions Tour in Birmingham in 2010 and his best career finish since joining the circuit is a T3 at the ACE Group Classic earlier this year. He's searching for his first TOUR victory since the 1997 Las Vegas Invitational.
• Glasson is currently ranked 22nd in the Charles Schwab Cup rankings with 203 points.
Cochran's Record In The Majors Senior PGA Championship U.S. Senior Open Champ Constellation SENIOR Regions Tradition The Senior Open Champ 2012 T29 2011 T17 T15 1 2010 T23 T28 T5 T18 T3 2009 T33 3 T41 T41 T19
• Cochran is searching for his fourth career title on the Champions Tour and first since winning the Senior British Open Championship last July at Walton Heath Golf Club near London, England.
• Cochran is currently ranked 31st in the Charles Schwab Cup rankings with 143 points.
• No 36-hole leader has gone on to win the Regions Tradition since 2003 when Tom Watson enjoyed a four-stroke lead through two rounds after carding a 10-under 62 on Friday. Watson actually trailed Jim Ahern by one stroke after three rounds but rebounded to win on Sunday by one.
Shoal Creek Course Statistics --- Round 1 vs. Round 2 vs. 2011: Stat Category Round 1 Round 2 Cumulative 2011 Cumulative Stroke Average 73.250 72.870 73.026 73.529 Most difficult No. 9 (4.487) No. 9 (4.250) No. 9 (4.368) No. 4 (4.394) Least difficult No. 3 (4.539) No. 3 (4.461) No. 3 (4.500) No. 3 (4.690) Par/better 28 38 66 60 Below par 20 30 50 46
• Halfway leaders in four-round events have won seven of 19 72-hole tournaments on the Champions Tour since the start of 2009 season. Two weeks ago, Roger Chapman led after 36 holes and went on to claim the Senior PGA Championship, the first of five majors on the 2012 Champions Tour.