Club Colombia Championship receives 2016 President's Award
December 08, 2016
By Web.com Tour staff
- The Club Colombia Championship helped lay the foundation for PGA TOUR-sanctioned golf in Central and South America. (Kevin Prise/PGA TOUR)
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — The Web.com Tour honored seven tournaments and a volunteer at the PGA TOUR’s annual Tournament Meetings on Wednesday in Las Vegas with the second annual season-ending Tournament Awards.
The Club Colombia Championship presented by Claro, contested annually in Bogota, Colombia, claimed the prestigious “President’s Award,” given annually to the Tournament of the Year.
“On behalf of the Web.com Tour, I am delighted to recognize the Club Colombia Championship as the recipient of our President’s Award, given annually to the Tournament of the Year,” said Web.com Tour President Bill Calfee. “This award encompasses all aspects of a successful Web.com Tour event, from volunteer efforts to social media to sales to player experience, it truly represents the best of the best, and German Calle and his team should be commended for their tireless work in delivering a phenomenal tournament.”
As the winner of the President’s Award, the Club Colombia Championship succeeded in putting forth a top-notch tournament on all applicable fronts, including:
• Development and execution of the biggest golf event in Colombia’s history, which set the foundation for Web.com Tour expansion in Latin America.
• Engaged sponsor in Club Colombia; excellent venue in Bogota Golf Club.
• Strong tournament Pro-Am featuring sponsor integration and dignitary appearances, including Colombia President Juan Manuel Santos and former U.S. President Bill Clinton.
• Lucrative purse, large spectator attendance and a PGA TOUR-like look and feel to the tournament build-out.
“This means so much to my company, to my family and to Colombia,” said German Calle, whose company Golflink oversees the event. “This has become a national event, and I think we’ve found with the Web.com Tour a good partner through which to show everyone our country. I’m very happy about that.”
Below is the complete list of tournament award winners:
President’s Award (Tournament of the Year)
Club Colombia Championship presented by Claro
Best Social Media Campaign
Best Player Experience
BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX Corporation
Best Pro-Am Experience
WinCo Foods Portland Open presented by Kraft Heinz
Outstanding Achievement Award
Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship
Panama Claro Championship
Rookie of the Year Award
LECOM Health Challenge
Volunteer of the Year
Gordon Gresham (Air Capital Classic)
The Web.com Tour will kick off its 28th season with The Bahamas Great Exuma Classic, set for January 5-11, 2017. The event will be the first of two tournaments in The Bahamas over a three-week stretch, with each event featuring an unprecedented Sunday-Wednesday format.