Muñoz wins Club Colombia Championship
February 07, 2016
By Royce Thompson, Web.com Tour staff
- February 07, 2016
- Sebastian Muñoz won in front of his family and friends in Colombia. (Stan Badz/PGA TOUR)
BOGOTA, Colombia – Colombian Sebastian Muñoz two-putted the 72nd hole for birdie to win the Club Colombia Championship presented by Claro in front of his friends and family on Sunday. With the city of Bogota watching, the 23-year-old University of North Texas alum carded a final-round even-par 71 and posted 12-under-par 272, one-stroke better than Matt Atkins (68), and Richy Werenski (68).
Mackenzie Tour - PGA TOUR Canada alum Taylor Pendrith (69) and Trey Mullinax (70) finished two back of Muñoz.
Muñoz collected a check for $126,000 at Country Club de Bogota during the trophy ceremony to move into the top spot on the Web.com Tour money list.
“I’m in shock,” said Muñoz, the newest member of the Tour. “I am very happy with the result. To be honest, I never imagined I could win at the beginning of the week.”
The trophy was up for grabs most of Sunday afternoon after Muñoz bogeyed the third and seventh holes to relinquish the lead. With the help of the crowd, second-year pro bounced back with a birdie at the eight to regain a share of the lead.
“I think the key was that I believed in myself,” said Muñoz, who made a crucial par save on the 13th hole to stay in a tie for the lead. “Mentally that helps a lot.”
After sinking the victory-clinching putt, Muñoz was congratulated by fellow PGA TOUR Latinoamérica alum Julian Etulain and Rodolfo E. Cazaubón. The Bogota native became the first Colombian player to win on Tour since its inception.
“When I made that short putt, I just felt relieved,” said Muñoz about his three-foot birdie make at the last. “I could not think of anything else because of all the people jumping on me.”
Werenski, who birdied the par-5 finishing hole to reach 11-under, walked over to the scoring tent to shake Muñoz’s hand after the round.
“That was pretty impressive golf from him all week,” said Werenski, who recorded his best finish on Tour Sunday afternoon in Bogota. “There was a lot of pressure on him and that was really impressive.”
Sebastian Munoz claims hometown win at Club Colombia Championship
* Sunday weather: High of 68, Low of 55. Wind: E-SE 6-10 mph.
* This week’s purse is $700,000 with $126,00 going to the winner.
* Jamie Sadlowski was disqualified after the third round for signing an incorrect scorecard. Sadlowski noticed the mistake and brought it to the attention of Tour officials.
* Sebastian Muñoz played four events on PGA TOUR Latinoamérica in 2015 and posted two top 10s (Volvo Colombian Classic presentado por Arturo Calle – 5, Copa Diners Club Mitad del Mundo Final SERIE DE DESARROLLO – T7). He is exempt through the mid-season reshuffle in 2016 (Finished 6-10 at 2015 PGATLA DevSeries Final).
* Muñoz’s victory comes at age 23 years, 1 months and 3 days.
* Muñoz is the second player from the University of North Texas to win on the Web.com Tour (Carlos Ortiz – 2014 El Bosque Mexico Championship).
* Coming down the stretch, Muñoz went bogey-par-birdie to closeout the tournament.
* Was paired with Andrew Putnam (74) and Alexandre Rocha (72) in the final round.
* Muñoz is the first Colombian player to win a tournament on the Web.com Tour.
* Muñoz becomes the third international player and first Colombian to win the Club Colombia Championship (Brendan Pappas/South Africa – 2011, Alex Cejka/Germany – 2014).
* Muñoz played college golf at the University of North Texas (2011-15) with Mexico’s Carlos Ortiz and Rodolfo Cazaubón.