July 10 2013
Goydos has made just eight starts over two injury-plagued seasons. (Cohen/Getty Images)
By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM
Three years ago, Paul Goydos became just the fifth player in PGA TOUR history to shoot 59.
Wednesday, he said his season is over.
Goydos, who had made just two starts this season after returning from left wrist surgery earlier this year, said his wrist is "iffy at best" and added that he doesn't plan to play again until the Frys.com Open in October, which is when the 2013-14 season will begin.
He also might seek an exemptions on the European Tour during the FedExCup Playoffs, if possible. With just six events remaining until the Playoffs -- including this week's John Deere Classic, where Goydos recorded his historic round -- it was unlikely Goydos would qualify anyway.
In the meantime, Goydos said he will continue to practice and play at home as part of his rehab.
The 49-year-old made his first start of this year last month in Memphis, where
he shot 73-72 to miss the cut. Two weeks later, he shot 74-80 to miss
the cut at the Travelers Championship.
"The pain tends to come and go," said Goydos, who had a bone spur that was irritating a tendon removed from his wrist in March after a procedure last October to remove a bone spur from his left index finger.
Tendinitis has also been a problem for Goydos throughout his career.
"l'll just keep working, keep grinding," he said. "The pain is getting better, but I have to trust (my wrist) more."
This marks the second straight year Goydos' season has been cut short by injury. Last year, he made just six starts before missing the remainder of the season.
Though Goydos will be eligible for the Champions Tour in June of 2014, he plans to spend all of next year on the PGA TOUR before joining the over-50 circuit in 2015.
With 19 starts still remaining on his major medical extension, Goydos should get plenty of starts once he does return.