It appears your browser may be outdated. For the best website experience, we recommend updating your browser.
Everything you need to know about the premier FedExCup Playoffs event coming to Liberty National Golf Club
That’s a lot of reasons! ICYMI, THE NORTHERN TRUST generated a record $1.865 million for local area charities in 2018, bringing the total impact to nearly $50 million since this event was first played in 1967.
While the dollar amount is certainly impressive, it is stories like the following of a young cancer patient named Dylan that give meaning and context to the incredible impact of this tournament, inside and outside the ropes.
An avid golfer, Dylan worked on the grounds crew at The Ridgewood Country Club prior to his diagnosis and couldn’t wait to be a part of THE NORTHERN TRUST when it came to Paramus. While his diagnosis prevented him from continuing his Ridgewood job, Tackle Kids Cancer—the official charity of THE NORTHERN TRUST—made it possible for Dylan to have unique access, just inches from the world’s best golfers.
During the final two rounds of the tournament, Dylan joined several other cancer patients on the 15th hole serving as flag bearers. They received hugs and high fives from the pros and enjoyed a terrific afternoon and respite from their illnesses.
“For two years, I looked forward to being a part of THE NORTHERN TRUST and was very disappointed that I was going to miss out. Thanks to Tackle Kids Cancer, I was a part of the event, inside the ropes and close to the players. I wish the circumstances were different, but I am very grateful for this opportunity,” said Dylan.
The weather outside may be frightful, but let’s fast forward to summer 2019 for warmer days and the PGA TOUR’s return to the metro area! Luckily, you can purchase tickets to THE NORTHERN TRUST from the comfort of your couch. So hop on your computer and give your family and friends a front-row seat to the best golfers on the planet and the best skyline in sports (see #3!). For a limited time, THE NORTHERN TRUST is selling holiday ticket packages to choose from. Take advantage of the offer HERE.
*not just any type of golf. Really, really good golf.
What are your New Year’s resolutions? Play more golf? Break 80? Meet some of the world’s best golfers? Take a selfie with the Statue of Liberty?
Wait, we know you’re probably saying to yourself, “What does golf have to do with Lady Liberty?” Turns out, quite a lot. THE NORTHERN TRUST has a new look in 2019, and let’s just say it involves some seriously epic and breathtaking views.
THE 2019 NORTHERN TRUST will be held August 6-11 at Liberty National Golf Club, one of the most prestigious clubs in the country. Set against a backdrop of the Manhattan skyline, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Liberty National is the picture-perfect backdrop for spending a week inside the ropes with the world’s best golfers. Don’t believe us? These views don’t lie:
Every single Friday on our social channels, we feature our favorite fan photos from THE NORTHERN TRUST…aka #FanFriday. So, let’s get #trending. Send us your pictures from the tournament for the chance to make your social media debut. #retweet
* Let’s just hope your selfie-taking skills are better than Lefty’s the last time he was at Liberty National.
Steve Dodge still remembers his first time volunteering as a marshal at the tournament in 1988. He was inside the ropes on the 18th hole when World Golf Hall of Famer Seve Ballesteros hit his drive on the green right in front of Dodge. “His backswing passed just in front of my nose, and since then I’ve been hooked,” Dodge exclaimed. “I have worked every shift of every day in various roles wherever the tournament was held, whenever it was held and whatever the weather. It’s my Christmas.”
As Dodge shared, volunteering at THE NORTHERN TRUST not only provides an exciting opportunity to become a part of history, but it is also rewarding in other ways. Many people don’t realize that it is the volunteers who enable THE NORTHERN TRUST to generate such significant dollars for local charities. More than 1,600 volunteers work a cumulative 35,000 hours during tournament week to ensure the tournament runs smoothly from the moment the first spectator arrives until the final putt drops.
And—as you read from Dodge’s testimonial—volunteers have a lot of fun in the process, many with front row views of the action and all with memories that last a lifetime.
Want to join THE NORTHERN TRUST family? SIGN UP NOW to become a volunteer. If you have questions about volunteer duties or the application process, contact Megan Brewi, Tournament Services Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Fast facts: · Application link: Visit thenortherntrust.com/volunteer to apply · Time requirement: Volunteers are asked to work three, 6-hour shifts during tournament week. · Committees: There are 25 different committees, with jobs ranging from on-course duties such as walking scorers or serving as a marshal to other support roles that include assisting players and fans, such as player/caddie services or admissions.
1. Bryson DeChambeau for being an incredible champion. DeChambeau won THE NORTHERN TRUST by four shots, but his win in Paramus, NJ, was just the first stop of his victory tour. He shipped up to Boston and won the Dell Technologies Championship and then went on to notch a career-best third place finish in the FedExCup. But it gets better…in his first start of the 2018-19 season, DeChambeau won the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open for his fifth career PGA TOUR victory. Can anyone say #MadScientistDomination?
2. Tiger Woods, for capturing win #80 and being the comeback king. Woods may have lost #TheMatch to Phil the Thrill over the Thanksgiving holiday, but he sure can direct traffic. If you weren’t watching the final round of the TOUR Championship in Atlanta (then what were you doing?!), then you missed out on one of the coolest moments in sports history. Woods won on TOUR for the first time in 1,876 days and now just needs three more wins to surpass Sam Snead’s record of all-time PGA TOUR wins. Maybe one of those wins will come at Liberty National next summer…#TigerOnTheProwl
3. Our fans, for coming out by the thousands to experience the best sporting experience in the world (we’re biased, but it’s true). Enough said, our fans are amazing. We hope you had an incredible time at the 2018 tournament and are already making plans to attend in 2019!
4. Our volunteers, for their unwavering support and dedication to making this tournament a best-in-class experience. As you read in the previous section, our volunteers ensure that this tournament runs smoothly, and we literally couldn’t do it without them!
5. Our title sponsor, Northern Trust. When Northern Trust joined us as the title sponsor in 2017, they made it abundantly clear that a key point of emphasis was to impact lives for years to come and drive true impact through year-round involvement with our community and charitable partners. Not only have they stayed true to this commitment, but they’ve gone above and beyond in their promise. Thank you to the entire Northern Trust team for your hard work in making this tournament a success, inside and outside the ropes.
6. The media members who tell our stories. Thank you to every single reporter, journalist, social media influencer, producer and writer who shared the awesome stories from our tournament. You help make its impact felt at both the local and national levels. As always, we’re here to make your lives easier, so if you ever need story ideas, don’t hesitate to reach out to Emily Tillo with PGA TOUR Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Our loyal hot sheet readers! Thank you for taking the time to read (and share!) this hopefully humorous and informative newsletter. We started it last year as a new twist on tournament communications, offering everything you need to know about THE NORTHERN TRUST is an easy-to-digest manner. As we continually look to improve, don’t hesitate to send us your feedback!
© 1995-2019 PGA TOUR, Inc | All Rights Reserved.
PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions, Korn Ferry Tour, and the Swinging Golfer design are registered trademarks.
Web.com is also a registered trademark used here with permission, and used in the Web.com Tour logo with permission.