Weir takes leave of absence, will miss RBC Canadian
July 17, 2015
By Brian Wacker and Adam Stanley, PGA TOUR Digital
- July 17, 2015
- Mike Weir finished solo second at the 2014 AT&T Byron Nelson. (Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
Mike Weir, Canada’s biggest golf star, has withdrawn from next week’s RBC Canadian Open and will take an indefinite leave of absence from golf competition, according to a statement he posted Friday on his Twitter account.
He called it an “extremely difficult” decision to withdraw from his country’s national open. It would have been Weir’s 25th appearance in the event.
I have decided to take some time off from golf competition for personal reasons. Thanks to my fans for their support. pic.twitter.com/hsfB6EXqNa— Weirsy (@MikeWeir) July 17, 2015
Weir has struggled this season on TOUR, having made only one cut in 18 events, with three WDs. He sits 213th in the FedExCup standings. Last week, he withdrew from the John Deere Classic after shooting an opening-round 73.
“Mike has recently endured some difficult times in his personal life,” Weir’s agent Danny Fritz wrote in an additional statement. “With everything that has been going on away from the golf course, Mike’s golf game has been impacted as a result.
“At this point in his life, and career, Mike has decided that his time and focus needs to be at home and with his kids,” Fritz continued.
Weir has suffered a myriad of injuries over the past five seasons, and has used both his lifetime money-list exemptions.
In 2014, he finished second at the AT&T Byron Nelson, which earned the 2003 Masters champion enough money to have TOUR status for this season.
But since 2011, he has made just 21 cuts in 94 starts on the PGA TOUR, which included going 0-for-12 in 2012.
Weir turned 45 in May, and Fritz said there is no timeline for his return to golf.
“His focus needs to remain on his home life, along with his children,” Fritz said. “Mike will return to golf competition when the time is right, and he is ready.”
Fellow Canadian Graham DeLaet learned of Weir's decision Friday at The Open Championship.
"For Canadian golf, I think we would love to see Mike playing and playing well," DeLaet said. "I know that he's been battling injuries, and I just wish him the best. Obviously he's a friend of mine now ... I'll shoot him a text and wish him the best and hopefully just see him soon."
Golf Canada chief championship officer Bill Paul, in an interview with the Globe & Mail, called the news “unfortunate” but said he understood Weir’s decision.
“We’ll wish him well and be watching him, and he’ll be back for his 25th sometime,” Paul told the newspaper.
The RBC Canadian Open begins July 23 at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville, Ontario. Weir was the runner-up when Glen Abbey hosted the tournament in 2004.