Notebook, Round 4: Reno-Tahoe OpenJuly 18, 2010
PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Mostly sunny with afternoon temperatures reaching 93 degrees. Light and variable winds in the morning changed to W-NW at 10-20 mph, gusting to 25-30 mph.
• Matt Bettencourt fired a final round 4-under-par 68 to earn his first PGA TOUR victory by one shot over Bob Heintz at the Reno-Tahoe Open. Bettencourt avoided a playoff when Heintz missed a birdie putt from three feet, four inches on No. 18. The victory comes in his 53rd -career start at the age of 35 years, three months and six days.
• With the victory, Bettencourt earns 250 FedExCup points and now has 346 points on the season. The top 125 in the FedExCup rankings through the Wyndham Championship (August 16-22) will qualify for The Barclays, the first event in the PGA TOUR Playoffs for the FedExCup. In 2009, 354 points were needed to qualify for The Barclays. He also earns an invitation to the 2010 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits next month.
• Bettencourt's winning score of 11-under-par 277 equals the highest winning score in the 12-year history of the Reno-Tahoe Open (Notah Begay (-11), 1999).
• Montreux Golf & CC played to a scoring average of 73.026 during the 2010 Reno-Tahoe Open, the highest scoring average in the 12-year history of the tournament, surpassing the 72.671 scoring average in 2004
• Bettencourt (66-68-75-68 -- 277, -11) 1st
• Bettencourt becomes the 10th first-time winner on the PGA TOUR in 2010, joining Bill Haas (Bob Hope Classic), Derek Lamely (Puerto Rico Open), Rory McIlory (Quail Hollow Championship), Tim Clark (THE PLAYERS Championship), Jason Day (HP Byron Nelson Championship), Justin Rose (the Memorial Tournament), Graeme McDowell (U.S. Open), Bubba Watson (Travelers Championship) and Louis Oosthuizen (British Open).
• Bettencourt becomes the sixth player in tournament history to earn their first PGA TOUR victory at the Reno-Tahoe Open, joining Notah Begay III (1999), Chris Riley (2002), Vaughn Taylor (2004), Will MacKenzie (2006) and Parker McLachlin (2008).
• With his final round 4-under-par 68, Bettencourt broke a six-year string of winners at the Reno-Tahoe Open that posted a final round in the 70s.
• Bettencourt (2008) is the second former Nationwide Tour leading money winner to win on TOUR in 2010. Zach Johnson (2003) won earlier this year at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. The victory is the 277th by a former Nationwide Tour player on the PGA TOUR.
• Entering this week, Bettencourt had missed the cut in 8 of his last 10 starts on the PGA TOUR. Prior to the Reno-Tahoe Open, in 21 events on the PGA TOUR in 2010, his best finish was a T39 at the Bob Hope Classic.
• Bettencourt played the four par-5s at Montreux Golf & CC in 12-under-par this week and led the field with three eagles, all on par 5s (No. 17 -- RD1, No. 11 -- RD2, No. 9 -- RD 4). He also led the field in total putts with 103.
Bob Heintz (69-68-72-69 -- 278, -10) 2nd • Bob Heintz (69-68-72-69 -- 278, -10) started the week attempting to Monday qualify for the Nationwide Tour's Chiquita Classic outside Cincinnati, OH, and finished the week with a solo second-place finish at the Reno-Tahoe Open, the best finish of his PGA TOUR career. Entering this week Heintz's best finish was a T5 on three occasions (2005 Valero Texas Open, 2007 U.S. Bank Championship, 2007 Canadian Open).
• With the top-10 finish, Heintz played his way into the field at next week's RBC Canadian Open.
• Prior to his solo second this week at the Reno-Tahoe Open, Heintz had made only one start on the PGA TOUR in 2010, a T41 at the Transitions Championship in March. In eight starts on the Nationwide Tour he has only made two cuts with his best finish a T44 at the Mexico Open Bicentenary.
• Heintz's solo second is his best finish in seven-career appearances at the Reno-Tahoe Open, surpassing a T11 in 2008.
Mathias Gronberg (69-72-69-69 -- 279, -9) T3 • With a final round bogey-free 3-under-par 69, Mathias Gronberg finished T3 at the Reno-Tahoe Open, equaling his career-best result on the PGA TOUR, previously accomplished at the 2007 Valero Texas Open.
• Gronberg's T3 this week is his best result at the Reno-Tahoe Open. He had made four-of-five cuts in Reno entering this week with his best finish a T14 last year.
• Gronberg's T3 at the Reno-Tahoe Open is his first top-10 finish of the PGA TOUR season.
John Merrick (69-68-73-69 -- 279, -9) T3 • John Merrick posted a 3-under-par 69 in Sunday's final round to finish T3 at 9-under-par 279.
• With his T3 this week, Merrick has never finished outside of the top 10 at the Reno-Tahoe Open. In two previous appearances he recorded a T8 in 2008 and a T4 in 2007.
Entering this week Merrick had made 17-of-20 cuts on the PGA TOUR in 2010 with his best result a T16 earlier this month at the AT&T National outside Philadelphia.
• Merrick's T3 at the Reno-Tahoe Open equals his second-best finish on the PGA TOUR. His best result on TOUR was a solo 2nd at the 2009 Bob Hope Classic. He also finished T3 at the 2008 Mayakoba Golf Classic.
Miscellaneous Stats • Tournament host and 54-hole leader Scott McCarron entered the final round with a one-shot lead but fell to a T35 with a final round 9-over-par 81.
• Henderson, Nev. native Craig Barlow (69-72-67-72 -- 280, -8) finished T5, his best finish on the PGA TOUR since a solo third at the 2006 Northern Trust Open.
• Three-time PGA TOUR winner Robert Gamez (76-68-68-68 -- 280, -8) finished T5, his best finish on the PGA TOUR since a T3 at the 2007 Children's Miracle Network Classic. This week marked Gamez's first made cut on the PGA TOUR since the 2008 Children's Miracle Network Classic. Gamez has the opportunity to commit to next week's RBC Canadian Open.
• Five former winners of the Reno-Tahoe Open made the cut this year at Montreux Golf & CC. Here is a look at how they finished:
Player Score Position Kirk Triplett (2003) 76-68-70-68 -- 282 (-6) T15 Will MacKenzie (2006) 68-72-71-72 -- 283 (-5) T18 Steve Flesch (2007) 74-71-69-72 -- 286 (-2) T31 Vaughn Taylor (2004, 2005) 74-72-70-71 -- 287 (-1) T35 John Rollins (2009) 71-72-73-75 -- 291 (+3) T50
• Scoring Averages at the par-72 Montreux Golf & Country Club:
Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 36.744 36.864 73.608 --- Friday 36.620 36.347 72.967 73.293 Saturday 35.479 36.380 71.859 72.972 Sunday 36.958 36.310 73.268 73.026
• Bogey-free rounds:
Sunday: Mathias Gronberg (69).