Notes: PGA TOUR Canada Q-School (Florida)
First of three Qualifying Tournaments gets underway this week outside Orlando
April 13, 2015
By PGA TOUR Canada Communications, PGATOUR.COM
- April 13, 2015
- Albin Choi looks to secure PGA TOUR Canada status this week in Orlando (Claus Andersen/PGA TOUR)
Dates: April 14-17
Course: Orange County National Golf Club – Panther Lake Course (Winter Garden, Fla.)
Par/Yards: 36-36—72/7,350 yards
2014 champion: Jordan Krantz
Format: 72-hole stroke play (no cut)
Conditional status (Exempt through first six events and subject to re-shuffle)
Finishers 19-40 (plus ties)
The 2015 PGA TOUR Canada season begins this week just outside Orlando, Florida with the first of three Qualifying Tournaments. Two more will take place in the following weeks, including April 21-24 at La Purisima Golf Club in Lompoc, California and May 5-8 at Crown Isle Resort and Golf Community in Courtenay, British Columbia. This week’s event takes place at the longtime site of the final stage of the PGA TOUR Qualifying Tournament, Orange County National’s Panther Lake Course.
Once again, PGA TOUR Canada players will aim to take the next step on the path to the PGA TOUR in 2015. The leading player on the Order of Merit at season’s end will earn exempt status on the Web.com Tour for 2015, while players 2-5 will earn conditional status, players 6-10 will earn an exemption into the final stage of Web.com Tour Q-School and players 11-20 will earn an exemption into the second stage.
2014 NCAA All-Americans in the field:
Joey Garber (Georgia - 2nd team)
Talor Gooch (Oklahoma State - 3rd team)
Toni Hakula (Texas - Honorable Mention)
James Ross (Houston - Honorable Mention)
Canadians in the Field (16):
Brett Cairns – Courtland, Ont.
Rokhun Cho – Toronto, Ont.
Albin Choi – Toronto, Ont.
Jessey Church – Prince George, B.C.
Jean-Philip Cornellier – Granby, Que.
Max Gilbert – St-Georges, Que.
Robbie Greenwell – Georgetown, Ont.
Mark Hoffman – Thornhill, Ont.
Matthew McMahon – Brockville, Ont.
Lucas Kim – Toronto, Ont.
Luke Ovenden – Georgetown, Ont.
Mathieu Perron – Saint-Hubert, Que.
J.J. Regan – Burlington, Ont.
Ryan Terdik – Mt. Pleasant, Ont.
Christian Westhorpe – Oakville, Ont.
Andrew Zanatta – London, Ont.
Other Notes on the field:
- Chris Epperson (Hilton Head, S.C.), who finished No. 8 on the Order of Merit in 2013, returns to PGA TOUR Canada Q-School after spending a year on the Web.com Tour in 2014 (20 events, 6 made cuts, one top-25 finish).
- 2013 TOUR Championship of Canada presented by Freedom 55 Financial winner Max Gilbert (Saint-Georges, Que.) is looking to improve his status this week at Q-School. Gilbert, who finished outside the top 60 on the Order of Merit last year at No. 66, has conditional status as a 2013 winner.
- 2014 Web.com Tour member Albin Choi (Toronto, Ont.) is playing PGA TOUR Canada Q-School for the first time. Choi finished 52nd on the 2013 PGA TOUR Canada Order of Merit as a non-member. The 22-year old captured two victories earlier this year on the SwingThought.com Tour.
- Five amateurs are in the field: Linus Vaisanen (Helsinki, Finland), Sean Gaudette (South Hadley, Mass.), Brett Cooper (East Rockaway, N.Y.), Owen Curry (Lake Mary, Fla.), Garrison Lackey (Weslaco, Tex.).
- Toronto, Ont.’s Lucas Kim is playing PGA TOUR Canada Q-School for the first time. Kim, who has played two PGA TOUR Canada events, shot a 12-under 59 at a Mandarin Tour event in 2014.
- Other 2014 PGA TOUR Canada members in the field: Jared Wolfe, Robert Hudson, Brett Cairns, Shun Yut Hak, Brant Peaper, Mitch Krywulycz, Paul Cormack, David Skinns, Bruce Woodall, Paul Ferrier, Brad Miller, Drew Preston, Matthew Ceravolo, Kyle Morris, Alexander Rosen, David Holmes, Christian Westhorpe, Jesse Speirs, Paul Woodbury, Max Gilbert, Mike Ballo, Jr., Krister Eriksson, Evan Beirne, Dan Charen, Chris Epperson, Mark Hoffman.