Celebrity Pro Am (original release date 6/20/07)
May 19, 2010
Columbus, Ohio - June 21, 2007 -
Rick Reilly tops list of celebrities committed to play in the inaugural Safelite AutoGlass Celebrity Pro-Am
Tournament officials announced today that eight-time National Sports Writer of the Year Rick Reilly will highlight the field of celebrity participants for the inaugural Safelite AutoGlass Celebrity Pro-Am. A total of 26 local and nationally renowned stars of sports and entertainment will team up with two amateurs and one Nationwide Tour professional at The Ohio State University Golf Club - Scarlet Course on Monday, July 9 at 1pm.
Reilly is a senior writer for Sports Illustrated. He is the author of the weekly "Life of Reilly" column that runs on the last page of SI. It is the first such signed weekly opinion column in the magazine's 53-year history. He is also a frequent contributor to Time magazine. Reilly has won numerous awards in his 23-year writing career, including the prestigious New York Newspaper Guild's Page One Award for Best Magazine Story. In addition to his column in Sports Illustrated, he has authored six books, co-authored another four and is the co-author of a screenplay that began principal filming in February of 2007.
Others joining Reilly as celebrity participants in the Safelite AutoGlass Celebrity
• Earle Bruce - Former Ohio State football player, assistant coach and head coach (1979-1988) and member of the College Football Hall of Fame.
• Keith Byars - First-Team All-American and Big Ten Conference MVP tailback at The Ohio State University from 1982 to 1985. He played 14 NFL seasons as a fullback and tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and New York Jets.
• Javier Colon - R&B music artist. His recently released self-titled debut album features the hit single, "Crazy."
• John Cooper - Former Ohio State head football coach (1988-2000) and current college football television analyst for ESPN.
• Archie Griffin - Three-Time All-American for Ohio State and college football's only two-time Heisman Trophy winner. Current President/CEO of The Ohio State University Alumni Association.
• John Hicks - All-American offensive lineman and Lombardi and Outland trophy winner at The Ohio State University (1969-1973). NFC Rookie of the Year for the New York Giants.
• Ike Kelley - Linebacker and Two-Time All-Big Ten for Ohio State from 1962 to 1965. Played five seasons in the NFL for the Philadelphia Eagles.
• Craig Krenzel - Ohio State quarterback from 1999-2003. Led OSU to a 14-0 record and a National Championship in 2002 and is now a radio broadcaster for the team.
• Greg Lashutka - Former mayor of Columbus (1992-2000) and college and professional football player for The Ohio State University and the NFL's Buffalo Bills.
• Kent Mercker - Major League Baseball left-handed pitcher and Dublin, Ohio native. He played for nine teams over his 17-year professional baseball career, including the Indians and Reds.
• Paul O'Neill - Columbus native and five-time Major League Baseball All-Star. He won five World Series championships, one with the Cincinnati Reds (1985-1992) and four with the New York Yankees (1993-2001).
• Jody Shelley - NHL star of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
• Tom Skladany - Three-time All-American punter at Ohio State and the first kicking specialist to receive a football scholarship to OSU. He was a two-time All-Pro with the NFL's Detroit Lions.
• Gene Smith - Now in his 3rd year as the athletic director at The Ohio State University Smith oversees a program that features 36 varsity sports, has more than 900 student-athletes on its rosters and has an operating budget of $109 million. It is the nation's largest Division 1-A athletics program.
• Jim Stillwagon - Two-time unanimous All-American middle guard for Ohio State. Made college football history when in 1970 he won both the Outland and Lombardi trophies in the same year.
• Ron Stokes - Ohio State basketball star from 1981-1985. He was voted Most Valuable Player as a senior and co-captained the squad during his junior and senior year. Stokes is now entering his 7th year as the color analyst for the Ohio State men's basketball games.
• Tyler Wright - 14 year NHL veteran who during his career played for the Edmonton Oilers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Columbus Blue Jackets and Anaheim Ducks.
2007 Nationwide Children's Hospital Invitational Schedule of Events
Sunday, July 8 Safelite AutoGlass Celebrity Pro-Am Draw Party, 5:00pm
Presented by Dispatch Media Group
Nationwide Arena (invitation only)
Monday, July 9 Safelite AutoGlass Celebrity Pro-Am (1:00pm Shotgun)
Practice Rounds All Day
Tuesday, July 10 Huntington Bank Pro-Am Draw Party 6:00pm
Ohio Stadium (invitation only)
Practice Rounds All Day
Wednesday, July 11 Huntington Bank Pro-Am Morning Tee Times from 7:15am
Scarlet Course Afternoon Tee Times from 12:15am
Practice Rounds All Day
Thursday - Sunday (July 12 - July 15) 72-Hole Official Tournament Competition
Awards Ceremony Following Play of Final Round
*All times subject to change
2007 Nationwide Children's Hospital Invitational Television Schedule
Date Network Times Show Description
Thursday, July 12 Golf Channel 6:30 - 8:30 P.M. First Round Coverage
Friday, July 13 Golf Channel 6:30 - 8:30 P.M. Second Round Coverage
Saturday, July 14 Golf Channel 6:30 - 9:00 P.M. Third Round Coverage
Sunday, July 15 Golf Channel 6:30 - 9:00 P.M. Final Round Coverage
The inaugural Nationwide Children's Hospital Invitational will feature a purse of $700,000, the third largest on the Nationwide Tour. The Golf Channel will broadcast nine hours of prime time coverage from Thursday's opening round to the trophy presentation on Sunday. Two Pro-Am's will take place during the week, The Safelite AutoGlass Celebrity Pro-Am on Monday, and the Huntington Bank Pro-Am played on Wednesday, July 11, 2007. The Tournament will be operated by HNS Sports Group, a full-service event management company headquartered in Dublin, Ohio.
For questions concerning ticket prices and availability, how to become a volunteer, and general Tournament information please call (614) 764-GOLF or visit www.nchigolf.com.
Nationwide, based in Columbus, OH, is one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, with more than $160 billion in assets. Nationwide ranks No. 104 on the Fortune 500 list. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, life, commercial insurance, administrative services, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions and long-term savings plans. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide and the Nationwide Framemark are federally registered service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. On Your Side is a service mark of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
ABOUT THE NATIONWIDE TOUR
As an extension of the PGA TOUR, the Nationwide Tour identifies and transitions those select golfers whose games are ready to compete and win on golf's greatest stage. In 2007, Nationwide Tour alumni reached the 200th PGA TOUR win milestone, which includes a grand slam of the major championships. Twenty-five PGA TOUR cards will be at stake over the course of 32 Nationwide Tour tournaments this season, with a record $18 million in prize money available. Recognizing this growing stature and the PGA TOUR's commitment to charity, Nationwide, one of the largest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the world, renewed its umbrella sponsorship of the Nationwide Tour through 2012. The PGA TOUR, through the efforts of its three tours and their tournaments, sponsors, players and volunteers, supports over 2,000 local charities and has surpassed $1 billion in charitable giving. To learn more about the Nationwide Tour's rich history and the PGA TOUR's next stars, visit www.PGATOUR.com.
ABOUT THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT
The Ohio State University Department of Athletics is completely self supporting and receives no university monies, tax dollars or student fees. The Department of Athletics sponsors 36 fully funded varsity teams - 17 for women, 16 for men and three that are co-educational - and is committed to providing the very finest in academic and athletics support in an effort to provide its nearly 900 student-athletes with a quality, life-changing experience at Ohio State.