Tiger Woods' win at THE PLAYERS helped boost TV ratings to record highs. (Condon/PGA TOUR)
ORLANDO, Fla. -- THE PLAYERS Championship’s coverage on NBC and Golf Channel last week caught the attention of America with record audiences for its tournament coverage and signature programming according to data released Tuesday by The Nielsen Company.
NBC Sports Group’s comprehensive coverage of THE PLAYERS experienced surges in viewership across the board, highlighted by:
· NBC’s final round coverage on Sunday garnering 7.6 million viewers (+59 percent year over year), 5.0 rating, making it the most-watched final round at THE PLAYERS in more than 20 years
· NBC’s third round coverage on Saturday pulling in 3.7 million viewers (+12 percent), 2.6 rating, which was the best since 2009
· Golf Channel’s first round coverage on Thursday posting the most-watched first round in the history of THE PLAYERS with 1.7 million viewers (+54 percent YOY)
Golf Channel posted its most-viewed week ever for THE PLAYERS on record as more than 11.5 million unique viewers (+23 percent YOY) tuned in to Golf Channel during the week. It also was Golf Channel’s most-watched week ever for THE PLAYERS with 212,000 average viewers per minute for 24-hour Total Day (6 a.m.-6 p.m.), which represents a 25 percent increase year-over-year.
Contributing to this success was record numbers for Golf Channel’s news programming and digital content including:
· 96 hours of LIVE FROM THE PLAYERS – 160,000 average viewers (+50 percent YOY)
· Golf Channel’s LIVE FROM THE PLAYERS audience peaked on Sunday with 1.4 million average viewers for both the 15 minutes leading into and out of NBC’s coverage
· Most-watched LIVE FROM THE PLAYERS on Sunday from 8 AM to 1:30 PM – 679,000 average viewers (+20 percent YOY)
· Most-watched “Prime-time” LIVE FROM with Sunday’s night telecast delivering 646,000 average viewers (+339 percent YOY)