January 20 2012
By Brian Wacker, PGATOUR.COM
Mike Weir, who has been sidelined since elbow surgery last August, is planning to make his 2012 season debut at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, he announced on his website earlier this week.
“I think that’s a realistic target but I probably won’t know for sure until a week or 10 days before I have to commit,” Weir said in a blog post. “I’m very anxious to get back out there, which makes all this waiting tough.”
Weir, who lost his PGA TOUR card after finishing outside the top 125 on the money list and failing to earn it through a major medical exemption, has received a sponsor’s exemption into the event. Only recently, however, has Weir been cleared to play full rounds.
“I had considered playing in the Abu Dhabi and Qatar, but it was just a long way to go to test things out,” said Weir, who joined the European Tour in the offseason through an exemption he retained from winning the 2003 Masters. “Of course it would also be nice to play well at the start of the PGA TOUR and then be able to choose when and where I tee it up.”
Last year, Weir made just two cuts in 15 starts on TOUR. His low point came last July at the RBC Canadian Open, where he withdrew after just six holes. Weir made just three starts the rest of the year.
Also expected at Pebble Beach is Ian Poulter.
“I will be playing at the AT&T Pebble Beach Proam this year for the first time,” Poulter tweeted Friday. “Very much looking forward it. Game is really coming on.”
Poulter and his wife Katie are expecting the couple’s fourth child in about a week.