6/21/2012 - Northern Trust Open generates a record $1.7 million for LA charities
June 21, 2012
Northern Trust Open generates a record $1.7 million for LA charities
Tournament has donated $55.2 million since its inception
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Northern Trust Open tournament officials, including LA sports icon and Executive Director Jerry West, announced that the 2012 Northern Trust Open raised a record $1.7 million for deserving non-profit organizations in the Los Angeles area. The 2012 Northern Trust Open, which Bill Haas won in a thrilling playoff against Keegan Bradley and Phil Mickelson, was held February 13-19 at historic Riviera Country Club. The 2013 event is scheduled for February 11-17.
The $1.7 million raised in 2012 brings the total generated for Los Angeles charities since the event's inception to $55.2 million. The last three Northern Trust Open events have seen tremendous success from a charitable perspective, generating $1.48 million for local Los Angeles charities in 2010; $1.6 million in 2011; and $1.7 million in 2012.
It is estimated that the Northern Trust Open helps 15,000 Los Angeles residents each year, which includes 5,000 kids who are cared for in programs like The First Tee of Los Angeles County, Ready to Learn, LA Watts Summer Games and the Riordan Volunteer Leadership Development Program.
In addition to those programs supported by the LAJCCs, the LA Legends Club selected five nonprofits to receive $20,000 each, funds the club raised in conjunction with the event. The LA Legends Club is a group of Los Angeles-area civic and corporate leaders who serve as event ambassadors, helping to educate the community about the Northern Trust Open and all that it has done, and will do, for Los Angeles. The recipients are:
• Children's Bureau: Focuses counseling parents who have abused their children and other at risk parents of children under the age of 5. These funds will benefit the Readiness Program, which supports and prepares children for school and teaches parents how to positively play an active role in their education.
• Friends of Golf: Provides monetary assistance to youth golf organizations at all levels and collects and distributes high quality golf equipment to young golfers who want to excel in the sport and teaches them about life lessons. Friends of Golf also offers a mentor program and assists with college tuition
• Geffen Playhouse: Dedicated to enriching the cultural life of Greater Los Angeles through plays and educational programs that inform, entertain and inspire. High quality productions of classic and contemporary plays are produced and reaches out to over 6,000 economically disadvantaged students a year and teaches them the culture and arts
• St. James Inn: Provides no cost lodging to less fortunate families who cannot afford to stay in a hotel and other related services to hospital outpatients or family members who have loved ones undergoing critical inpatient medical treatment in the UCLA Health System and other facilities.
• Westside Children's Center: Supports underserved and vulnerable children and their families in southwest Los Angeles County by providing a full range of crucial, multidisciplinary services. These services include: early education; child development and special needs; family preservation, foster care and adoption; infant and family mental health and referrals.
Part of the $1.7 million raised this year includes more than $250,000 from the event's successful 2012 TICKETS Fore CHARITY™ program. Participating charities generated more than $200,000 in ticket sales, and Northern Trust donated an additional $50,000 in bonus funds for the top earning charities. TICKETS Fore CHARITY offers nonprofit organizations a chance to raise funds in their name by promoting ticket sales to event. One-hundred percent of net proceeds from tickets purchased through the program go directly to charity: 80 percent to the charity promoting the tickets.
"I continue to be amazed at what can happen when a community comes together to support something that benefits so many," said West. "Each year, we continue to move the needle when it comes to the charitable dollars we can generate for area non-profits, thanks to the hard work of the staff, the volunteers, the PGA TOUR and Northern Trust - as well as the support of this entire community. But I'm going to continue to challenge everyone to do more, to set our sights even higher for 2013. Let's continue to grow this wonderful event and bring even more assistance to our neighbors who need it most."
"Northern Trust is deeply committed to the Los Angeles community and we're proud of the record amount raised for charity at this year's tournament," said Northern Trust Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Frederick H. Waddell. "Our success is due to the involvement and support of many people tirelessly working together. I'd like to thank Jerry West, the PGA TOUR, the LAJCC and all of the nonprofit groups whose leadership supports worthy causes across Los Angeles. We look forward to another exciting Northern Trust Open next year that raises money to improve lives through many impactful programs."
About the Northern Trust Open
The Northern Trust Open is one of the longest-running tournaments on the PGA TOUR. Debuting in 1926 at Los Angeles Country Club, the event had been staged at various courses throughout the Los Angeles area before permanently settling at Riviera Country Club in 1973. Outside of the major championships, the Northern Trust Open is the fourth-oldest event on TOUR, trailing only the BMW Championship, the Canadian Open and the Valero Texas Open. The 2012 Northern Trust Open raised $1.7 million for non-profit organizations in the Los Angeles area, bringing the total generated for Los Angeles charities since the event's inception to nearly $55.2 million. For ticket information, visit www.northerntrustopen.com.
About Northern Trust
Northern Trust Corporation (Nasdaq: NTRS) is a leading provider of investment management, asset and fund administration, banking solutions and fiduciary services for corporations, institutions and affluent individuals worldwide. Northern Trust, a financial holding company based in Chicago, has offices in 18 U.S. states and 16 international locations in North America, Europe, the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region. As of March 31, 2012, Northern Trust had assets under custody of US$4.6 trillion, and assets under investment management of US$716.5 billion. For more than 120 years, Northern Trust has earned distinction as an industry leader in combining exceptional service and expertise with innovative products and technology. For more information, visitwww.northerntrust.com
or follow us on Twitter @NorthernTrust.