Notebook, Round 3: Reno-Tahoe OpenJuly 17, 2010
Mark Stevens, PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Mostly sunny with afternoon temperatures reaching 93 degrees. Light and variable winds in the morning changed to W-NW at 10-20 mph, gusting to 20-25 mph.
• McCarron's last 54-hole lead was at the 2002 Nissan Open (T2). McCarron won his three other 54-hole leads.
• McCarron's best finish in eight previous starts at the Reno-Tahoe Open is 2nd in 2004.
• The last of McCarron's three TOUR wins was at the 2001 BellSouth Classic.
• Canadian Graham DeLaet's 10-under 62 (T4) tied the course record, held by four other golfers. John Rollins shot a 62 last year on his way to victory.
• After this week there are only six weeks left in the race to the PGA TOUR Playoffs for the FedExCup. The top 125 players in the FedExCup standings after the Wyndham Championship qualify for the first Playoff event. Below is where the top players in the Reno-Tahoe Open rank in the FedExCup standings.
Player Pos. FedExCup rank Scott McCarron 1st 150th Robert Garrigus T2 115th John Mallinger T2 163rd Graham DeLaet T4 110th Craig Barlow T4 214th Rod Pampling T4 137th
Robert Garrigus • Robert Garrigus' bogey on No. 18 kept him from holding a share of the lead. His only third-round lead on TOUR came earlier this year at the St. Jude Classic where he lost in a three-way playoff to Lee Westwood.
• Garrigus has made the cut in all three previous appearances at the Reno-Tahoe Open with his best finish a T9 in 2009.
• Garrigus has made the cut in each of his last five starts on the PGA TOUR, dating back to the HP Byron Nelson Championship in May, and has made seven-of-11 cuts on TOUR in 2010.
Graham DeLaet • DeLaet, a rookie who played college golf at Boise State, had played two events on TOUR prior to this season, both at the RBC Canadian Open.
• DeLaet's 62 was the best round of the day by five strokes.
• DeLaet's previous best round on TOUR was a 66. He has made 11 of 19 cuts on TOUR this season and has four top-25 finishes. His best finish was a T3 at the Shell Houston Open.
Other Notes • Las Vegas resident John Mallinger is in search of his first PGA TOUR victory. In 108-career starts on the PGA TOUR entering this week, Mallinger's best finish was a solo second at the 2009 U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee. Mallinger is making just his second-career start at the Reno-Tahoe Open. He finished T30 at Montreux Golf & CC in 2007.
• The third-round leader/co-leader has won the Reno-Tahoe Open seven of 11 times. The largest come-from-behind win was by John Cook in 2001 (6 strokes). Kirk Triplett (2003) and Steve Flesch (2000) both came from five strokes back after 54 holes. Of the seven 54-hole leads there were two co-leads, two four-stroke leads, one five-stroke lead and two six-stoke leads.
• After recording just one top 10 in 2009, Stuart Appleby is trying to collect his third top 10 of the season.
• Scoring Averages at the par-72 Montrêux Golf & Country Club:
Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 36.744 36.864 73.608 --- Friday 36.620 36.347 72.967 73.293 Saturday 35.479 36.380 71.859 72.972
• Bogey-free rounds: