Chevron World Challenge: Round 1 notebookDecember 03, 2009
Doug Milne, PGA TOUR Staff
Weather: Sunny with temperatures in the mid 70s. Winds light and variable.
• Making his first start at the Chevron World Challenge, Ian Poulter suffered a double bogey at the par-4 18th hole to post a 4-under 68 in round one of the Chevron World Challenge and fall into a tie for the 18-hole lead at 4-under with Zach Johnson.
• Ian Poulter is amidst a long stretch of competition. This week's Chevron World Challenge is his sixth straight week of competitive play.
• Ian Poulter's tie for the lead mark's the first time he has held at least a share of the 18-hole lead on American soil.
• On the PGA TOUR in 2009, Ian Poulter made 13 of 17 cuts, five of which were top-10 finishes. The highlight of his year on TOUR was a runner-up finish to Henrik Stenson at THE PLAYERS Championship in May.
• Ian Poulter split his time between the PGA TOUR and European Tour in 2009, making 10 of 11 cuts overseas. Of those 10 made cuts, he managed to parlay three into top-10 finishes.
• En route to his 4-under 68, Ian Poulter hit 11 of 13 fairways in regulation and 12 of 18 greens in regulation.
• Zach Johnson has previously held a share of the 18-hole lead on the PGA TOUR twice. Neither 18-hole lead resulted in victory.
• Keeping his momentum going, Zach Johnson did not finish outside of the top 20 in his last four starts on the 2009 PGA TOUR.
• Ranked 10th in Driving Accuracy on TOUR in 2009, Zach Johnson hit 12 of 13 fairways in regulation, as well as 15 of 18 greens in regulation.
• The first round leader/co-leader at the Chevron World Challenge has gone on to win just twice since the event's 1999 inception. In 2003, Davis Love III achieved the feat, and the following year in 2004, Tiger Woods turned an 18-hole lead into victory.
• Jim Furyk, who holds the record for most first-round leads at the Chevron World Challenge shot a 2-under 70 and is two paces off the lead. Furyk held the 18-hole lead in 2002, 2004, 2007 and last year in 2008.
Player Round 1 Score Position Lucas Glover 74 (+2) 17 Martin Kaymer 73 (+1) T14 Graeme McDowell 71 (-1) T7 Sean OHair 71 (-1) T7 Ian Poulter 68 (-4) T1 Y.E. Yang 70 (-2) T4
• A total of six players are competing in their first Chevron World Golf Challenge. Here's a look at how they fared after Round 1:
• Of this year's 18 entrants, Padraig Harrington has competed in the most Chevron World Golf Challenge events. This is his eighth start at Sherwood Country Club. It was also the site of his first win on American soil in 2002. Harrington is also the only former Chevron World Challenge winner in this year's field.
• The toughest hole in Round 1 was the 444-yard, par-4 18th, with a stroke average of 4.611. From the field of 18, the home hole surrendered just one birdie all day, but claimed nine bogeys or worse.
• Sherwood Country Club's easiest hole in Round 1 was the 517-yard, par-5 11th. The stroke average there was 4.333.
• From the field of 18 players, 11 posted sub-par scores. There were no bogey-free rounds.