Round 3 Notes: Chevron World Challengetext sizeDecember 04, 2010
Mark Stevens, PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Partly to mostly cloudy with afternoon temperatures reaching 65 degrees. Winds ESE at 6-12 mph.
• Woods has had seven wire-to-wire victories on the PGA TOUR. His last was the 2006 World Golf Championship-American Express Championship.
• There has not been a wire-to-wire winner in the history of the Chevron World Challenge.
• The 2009 PGA Championship was the last time Woods held sole possession of the lead in three consecutive rounds (Rd 1-3).
• Woods has eight straight rounds in the 60s at the Chevron World Challenge, a personal-best in this event.
• Woods posted three straight rounds (in same tournament) in the 60s once on TOUR in 2010 (Deutsche Bank Championship/Rds 2-4).
• Woods' only lead after any round on TOUR in 2010 was when he was tied for the lead with Vaugh Taylor after the first-round at The Barclays.
• Coming into the Chevron, the last time Woods held sole possession of a lead on TOUR was after the second-round of the 2009 TOUR Championship.
• Graeme McDowell made 10 starts on the PGA TOUR in 2010. His only back-to-back rounds in the 60s in a tournament on TOUR came at the Honda Classic in March (Rd 1-2). This week McDowell has rounds of 66-69-68.
• Paul Casey is making his fifth start at the Chevron World Challenge. Prior to today, he had never posted back-to-back rounds in the 60s.
• Casey's (3rd) best finish at Chevron is T5 in 2006.
• Coming into this week, Casey had four of 12 rounds in the 60s at the Chevron World Challenge.
• Woods has finished in the top 2 at this event in seven of his nine starts. Woods finished 10thin 2000 and T14 in 2005.
• A total of five players are competing in their first Chevron World Challenge. Here's a look at where they stand:
Player Position Score Rory McIlroy T4 -7 Nick Watney T8 -6 Bubba Watson T14 +3 Matt Kuchar 16th +4 Dustin Johnson T17 +5
• Scoring Averages at the par-72 Sherwood Country Club:
Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 36.111 35.277 71.388 --- Friday 35.000 34.333 69.333 70.361 Saturday 36.055 35.611 71.666 70.796
• The toughest hole so far this week is the 228-yard, par-3 8th hole, with a stroke average of 3.259. Sherwood Country Club's easiest hole this week is the 517-yard, par-5 16th (4.537).
• With a victory this week at the Chevron World Challenge, Tiger Woods can overtake Lee Westwood in the Official World Golf Rankings, if Westwood is not in the Top-2 at the Nedbank Golf Challenge. Regardless of what happens this week, Westwood will be No. 1 at the end of the year even if Tiger wins this week (i.e. Westwood will retain or regain the No. 1 spot on the degradation of past Ranking points).