Round 2 Notebook: Frys.comtext sizeOctober 15, 2010
Doug Milne Jr., PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Sunny. High of 87. Winds W/NW 10-15 mph.
The 36-hole cut came at even-par 142 with 73 players advancing to the weekend.
Rocco Mediate (64-65, 13 under)
• Mediate has held at least a share of the 36-hole lead nine previous times. The only one which resulted in victory was the 1999 Phoenix Open. His previous largest 36-hole lead was three strokes at the 2007 Arnold Palmer Invitational, where he finished second.
• The 36-hole leader has gone on to win 15 of 42 times so far this season, with the most recent being Bill Haas at the Viking Classic two weeks ago.
• At 47 years, 10 months, 1 day, Mediate would be the oldest winner on TOUR since Kenny Perry, who won the 2009 Travelers Championship at 48 years, 10 months.
• Mediate's 36-hole 129 total matches his career low score for 36 holes. He previously posted that number at the 1987 Chattanooga Classic, before finishing T2.
• Following his hole-in-one on the 191 yard, par-3 third hole in round one, Mediate holed out his second shot from 160 yards on the par-4 fourth hole for an eagle two.
• The only other time Mediate posted two eagles (on holes other than par fives) in the same event was the 2001 SBS Championship. He recorded an eagle-two at the par-4 16th in Round 2 and on the par-4 14th in Round 3.
• Mediate needed just 23 putts en route to his 6-under 65 in round two, just two off his career low. The last time Mediate had 23 or fewer putts in a round was round one of the 2008 British Open, where he took a career-low 21 putts.
• Entering this week, Mediate had played 990 holes on TOUR this season (on courses where ShotLink was used), having made just a single putt outside of 35 feet. He did it twice in round two alone, first from 36 feet on the second, and then from 38 feet on 12.
• Mediate's best finish so far this year has been a T15 at the John Deere Classic. His last top-10 finish was a T9 at the 2009 Reno-Tahoe Open.
• Mediate has competed in each of the three previous Frys.com Opens. His best finish was a T13 last year at Grayhawk GC.
Ryuji Imada (65-67, 10-under)
• In search of his second PGA TOUR title (2008 AT&T Classic), Ryuji Imada birdied his last hole of the day for a posted a 4-under 67 in round two to get to 10-under entering the weekend, three strokes off the lead.
• Imada is making his 27th start this season, in which he has posted two top-10 finishes. He first finished T9 at the Farmers Insurance Open, only to improve on that with a T7 at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
David Duval (68-65, 9-under)
• David Duval followed an opening-round, 3-under 68 with a bogey-free, 6-under 65. He will enter the weekend at 9-under, four strokes off Rocco Mediate's lead. His last bogey-free round was the final-round of this year's RBC Canadian Open (5-under 65).
• Duval is making his 23rd start of the season, with his best finish being a T2 at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Currently at No. 109 on the Official Money List, Duval is virtually a lock to finish inside the top-125 to earn his TOUR card for the 2011 season.
• A 13-time PGA TOUR winner, including the 1999 PLAYERS Championship and 2001 British Open, Duval is looking for his first win since that 2001 British Open win at Royal Lytham & St. Annes in England.
Dean Wilson (69-64, 9-under)
• Wilson is making his 16th start this week. Of the previous 15, his best finish was a runner-up finish at the RBC Canadian Open.
• In search of his second win since the 2006 INTERNATIONAL, Wilson is making his 232nd career start this week.
John Mallinger (66-69, 7-under)
• Mallinger is making his making his 27th start of the season, with his best finish being a T3 at the Wyndham Championship. His best career finish came with second-place honors at the 2009 U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee.
Scoring averages at the par-71 CordeValle Golf Club Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 35.351 36.137 71.489 --- Friday 35.234 35.211 70.445 70.973
• Mallinger has competed in each of the three previous Frys.com Opens, having never missed a cut. His best finish of the three was a T20 in 2008.