Round 4 Notebook: McGladrey Classictext sizeOctober 10, 2010
Adam Wallace, PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Mostly sunny. High of 83. Winds SE 5-10 mph.
Heath Slocum (-14)
• The win is Slocum's fourth on the PGA TOUR (Chrysler Classic/2004, Southern Farm Bureau Classic/2005,The Barclays/2009 and The McGladrey Classic/2010).
• The 36-year old won his fourth TOUR event in his 273rd start.
• Slocum has converted two of his four 54-hole leads into victories.
Event Finish 2002 Touchstone Energy Tucson Open T6 2004 Chrysler Classic 1 2007 PODS Championship T2 2010 McGladrey Classic 1
• Slocum had just five bogeys after four rounds at Sea Island Golf Club's Seaside Course.
• Slocum's previous best finish this season was T4 at THE PLAYERS.
• Slocum moves from No. 43 to No. 29 on the official money list. The top-30 players on the season ending money list earn exemptions into the 2011 Masters and the 2011 U.S. Open.
• Slocum records his fifth top-10 finish of the year -Verizon Heritage (T8), THE PLAYERS (T4), St. Jude Classic (6), The Barclays (T9), McGladrey Classic (1).
• Slocum's win is the 286th by a former Nationwide Tour player.
Bill Haas (-13)
• Bill Haas, last week's Viking Classic winner, finished second. It is only the second time in his TOUR career he has posted back-to-back top-10 finishes. In 2007, he finished T10 at the Turning Stone Resort Championship and then T3 the next week at the Viking Classic.
• Haas' second place showing bumped him from No. 26 on the official money list to No. 18 and should be enough to lock up a spot in the 2011 Masters and U.S. Open.
• Haas led the field in greens in regulation this week by hitting 65 of 72.
• Haas had just three bogeys thru 72 holes.
• This is Haas' first career runner-up finish in 164 TOUR starts.
David Toms (-12)
• David Toms (T3), who made his 493rdstart of his TOUR career this week, recorded his 93rd top-10 finish of his career.
• Toms now has with top-15 finishes in his last three starts (T15-BMW Championship, T11-Viking Classic, T3 - McGladrey Classic).
Charles Howell III (-11)
• Charles Howell III shot a bogey-free 8-under 62, the best round of the week, on Sunday to jump from T53 to T6.
• Howell's 62 in the final round is his best round of the season and one shot off his career low round. He shot 64 in the final round of the Sony Open in Hawaii, his first start of the year. His lowest round, 61, was at the 2004 Booz Allen Classic.
• Howell notched his fifth top-10 finish of the year.
• The third-round leader/co-leader has now won 18 of 42 stroke play events this year.
• Through 17 events this season Joe Durant has four top-25 finishes, three of which have come in his last three starts, finishing T12 at the Wyndham Championship, T20 at the Viking Classic and T6 at the McGladrey Classic.
• Durant entered the week 131ston the official money list but jumped to 115th with three Fall Series events left on the schedule. He has not finished inside the top 125 on the money list since a career-best 13th place finish in 2006.
• Tournament host Davis Love III shot 6-under 274 to finish T33. Sunday's 2-over 72 was Love's 2,100th official round on the PGA TOUR (619 starts).
• Bo Van Pelt (T6) posted a 66 in the final round to record his seventh top-10 finish of the season.
• The PGA TOUR's Fall Series is a time for players to move into the top 125 on the money list and earn full exempt status on the TOUR in 2011.
• Aron Price entered the McGladrey Classic 135th on the official money list but finished T9 to jump to 125th.
• Brendon de Jonge (MC) made his TOUR leading 31th start of the season this week.
• Bogey-free rounds: * R1: 63 -- John Rollins; 65 -- Rich Barcelo; 67 -- Jeff Maggert, Paul Stankowski; 68 -- Pat Perez; 69 -- Kevin Stadler * R2: 65 -- Brian Gay, Charles Howell III; 66 -- Michael Connell, Joe Durant, Heath Slocum; 68 -- Jonathan Byrd, Matthew Goggin; 69 -- Jay Williamson. * R3: 64 -- Troy Merritt, Ken Duke; 65 -- Bill Haas; 66 -- Brendon de Jonge, J.B. Holmes; 69 -- Michael O'Neal. * R4: 62 -- Charles Howell III; 66 -- Chris Kirk, Brett Quigley; 67 -- Steve Lowery
• Scoring Averages at the par-70 Seaside Course:
Front 9 Back 9 Total Cumulative Thursday 34.962 34.962 69.924 --- Friday 34.841 34.697 69.538 69.731 Saturday 34.027 34.425 68.452 69.454 Sunday 34.384 34.575 68.959 69.366
• The par-4 18th hole played the toughest this week, yielding a 4.198 average. The par-5 15thhole was the easiest with a 4.532 average.