2014-2015 Rookie Rankings
January 19, 2015
By Rob Bolton, PGATOUR.COM
- Justin Thomas carded a stellar second-round 61 en route to sharing low rookie honors at Waialae. (Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
There are 24 rookies on the PGA TOUR in 2014-15. This feature provides a subjective ranking updated weekly. The Rookie of the Year is voted by PGA TOUR members that make at least 15 starts.
RECAP: Ten of 19 rookies at the Sony Open in Hawaii survived the 36-hole cut. All three that finished inside the top 55 posted top 15s.
LOW ROOKIE: Zac Blair and Justin Thomas, T6. First low-rookie honors for both. They share the third-best performance of all rookies in the last six editions of the tournament (Russell Henley, 1st, 2013; Scott Langley, T3, 2013).
CAREER-BEST FINISHES (AND TIES): Zac Blair (T6); Daniel Berger (T13)
• Justin Thomas' second-round 61 is the low round on the PGA TOUR this season. He led the 2014 Web.com Tour in par breakers, but didn't score lower than 64 in any round.
• Thomas co-led the tournament after 36 holes.
• Zac Blair ranked second in fairways hit, T3 in scrambling and first in par-3 scoring (2.75; 4 birdies, 12 pars).
• Blayne Barber ranked T3 in fairways hit and T6 in GIR, but T50 in par breakers.
• Daniel Berger led the field in strokes gained: tee-to-green (2.889). He also ranked fifth in proximity to the hole and T3 in scrambling.
• In his 3-over 33-40=73 in the second round, Oscar Fraustro played the last six holes in 5-over with three double bogeys. He missed the cut by four strokes.
• Despite no top 30s, Tom Hoge ranks fifth with a win-loss-tie record of 69-37-3 (64.679%) as compared to his fellow rookies.
• Scott Pinckney co-led the field with three eagles. His first occurred on his first hole of the tournament. At the par-4 10th hole on Thursday, he holed out from the fairway 39 yards away. His other two occurred conventionally on the par-5 ninth in the second and third rounds.
• Roger Sloan shared runner-up honors at the open qualifier to gain entry. Despite ranking T60 in GIR at Waialae (45 of 72), he placed T8 in par breakers (20 birdies).
• Zack Sucher has missed his five cuts by an aggregate 15 strokes.
• Patrick Cantlay has 10 starts remaining on his medical extension.
• Joe Affrunti hasn’t competed in PGA TOUR-sanctioned action since August of 2013. He had hip surgery four months later, and then suffered a setback in the spring.
* - In the field at the Humana Challenge as of Jan. 18.
# - Top-10 alternate at the Humana Challenge as of Jan. 18.
Rank Name FedExCup
Starts Cuts Made Top 10s 1 *Nick Taylor 15 1st 7 6 1 2 *Tony Finau 22 T7 (2) 6 4 2 3 *Justin Thomas 38 T4 6 4 2 4 *Zac Blair 31 T6 6 5 1 5 *Blayne Barber 61 T9 (2) 6 4 2 6 *Carlos Ortiz 72 T9 5 4 1 7 *Daniel Berger 70 T13 6 4 - 8 *Andrew Putnam 80 T12 6 4 - 9 *Adam Hadwin 112 T10 6 4 1 10 *Jon Curran 105 T8 6 2 1 11 *Oscar Fraustro 114 T9 4 2 1 12 *Carlos Sainz Jr. 164 T9 4 1 1 13 *Tom Hoge 109 T32 6 5 - 14 *Mark Hubbard 115 T48 6 5 - 15 *Byron Smith 141 T19 6 2 - 16 *Sung Joon Park 142 T32 4 3 - 17 *Scott Pinckney 149 T31 6 3 - 18 *Jonathan Randolph 158 T28 6 3 - 19 #Roger Sloan 195 T56 4 2 - 20 #Whee Kim 189 T49 5 2 - 21 Patrick Cantlay 212 76th 1 1 - 22 #Zack Sucher - MC 5 - - T23 Joe Affrunti - - - - - T23 #Benjamin Alvarado - - - - -
NOTE: A player’s rookie season ("Rookie Year") is defined as the season in which he becomes a PGA TOUR member (including Special Temporary Members) and plays in 10 or more events as a member or finishes in the Top 125 on the Official FedExCup Points List, the Top 125 on the Official PGA TOUR Money List or qualifies as a Top 125 - Nonmember, whichever occurs first. Further, for purposes of this definition, a new member (including Special Temporary Members) shall not be eligible for the PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year if he has previously played in more than seven (7) Official PGA TOUR Money events as a professional in any prior season.