Faldo set to make Champions Tour stateside debut in N.C.

text size
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Carr/Getty Images
Nick Faldo is set to play the SAS Championship in October.
August 28, 2013

CARY, N.C. -- Six-time major champion Nick Faldo is set to make his first Champions Tour start in the U.S. at the SAS Championship presented by Bloomberg Businessweek. The tournament will be held Oct. 7-13 at the Prestonwood Country Club.

It will be Faldo's first Champions Tour entry besides two appearances at the Senior British Open Championship. 

"I'm curious," said Faldo about why he is starting his Champions Tour career now. "I enjoyed the process of training for the Open Championship and was happy with my effort after limited training. This is the first time I've entertained thoughts of committing myself and playing again. I look forward to the preparation and testing my competitive skills again. 

"We've heard only the best things about the SAS Championship and know well the enthusiasm for golf in the region. For that reason, I'm happy it all worked out this way and that the SAS Championship will be my Champions Tour debut."

Faldo split his major championships between the Masters (1989, 1990, and 1996) and The Open Championship (1987, 1990, and 1992).  He was a 1997 inductee into the World Golf Hall of Fame. For his contributions and service to golf, the former No. 1 player in the world received a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II in November 2009. Sir Nick is the only living British golfer to receive such an honor.

This year, Faldo made his first start at the British Open in three years, but did not make the cut at Muirfield after rounds of 79-78.  He has been the voice of golf for CBS Sports since 2006 and now also provides analysis on The Golf Channel.

"It is a great honor that Sir Nick Faldo has chosen the SAS Championship to make his domestic Champions Tour debut," Tournament Director Jeff Kleiber said. "He may technically be a 56-year-old rookie, but I know he is an impactful addition to an already strong field. I am sure he will get a warm reception from the great golf fans in the Triangle.” 

Earlier this week it was announced that nine former SAS Championship winners, including defending champion and World Golf Hall of Famer Bernhard Langer (2012), current Charles Schwab Cup leader Kenny Perry (2011), Russ Cochran (2010), Tom Pernice, Jr. (2009), Mark Wiebe (2007), Tom Jenkins (2006), World Golf Hall of Famer Hale Irwin (2005), Craig Stadler (2004), and D.A. Weibring (2003), will compete in this year's event.

Tickets for the SAS Championship are now on-sale. All ticket options can be purchased online at saschampionship.com or by calling 919-531-4653.


Print This Story