Weather: Partly cloudy with a light rain for about 40 minutes in the morning. Temperatures were in the low-80s with winds from the SW in the afternoon at 5-15 mph. Lift, clean and place rules were in effect. Jeff Sluman, 6-under, 65, 1
• Jeff Sluman is making his fifth appearance in the Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship...Best finish was a T3 in 2008 and he also was fourth last year at the TPC Potomac.
• Sluman won his third Nature Valley First Tee Open at Pebble Beach earlier this year, his fourth overall title on the Champions Tour.
• Played 19 events on the PGA TOUR at Westchester and was T5 in 2006.
• Sluman's previous first-round leads/co-leads on the Champions Tour
Gary Hallberg, 5-under, 66, T2
• Making his fourth appearance in the Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship...Best finish was a T15 in 2009. 66 on Thursday was his best round in the event. Previous-best opening round was 73 in 2008.
• Lone victory on the Champions Tour came at the 2010 Ensure Classic at Rock Barn, making him the fourth of just five players (Olin Browne, most recent) to win at least one event on all three Tours.
• Played 11 events at Westchester on the PGA TOUR and best finish was a T15 in 1989.
Peter Senior, 5-under, 66, T2
• Finished T16 last year at the Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship.
• Has finished among the top-10 eight times in 15 starts, including top-10s in three of the previous four majors this year (P2-Regions Tradition, T5-Senior PGA Championship, 6-U.S. Senior Open).
• Played only one time at Westchester on the PGA TOUR, finishing T36 in 1988.
• Sluman's 6-under-par round Thursday was the lowest opening-round score to par in this championship since 2006 when Ron Streck and Fuzzy Zoeller carded 7-under 65s at the TPC Michigan. Here are the other first-round leaders at the senior majors in 2011 and where they finished:
• First-round leaders/co-leaders have only won this championship twice in the last 10 years --- Allen Doyle (2001) and Loren Roberts (2007). Thus far in 2011 on the Champions Tour, first-round leaders have won seven of 17 events including the last two tournaments.
• The three names at the top of the first-round leaderboard all use long putters.
• With lift, clean and place rules in effect, there were 15 rounds below 70 today and 25 players were under par at Westchester in Round 1. Last year at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farms near Washington, there were only four players under par in Round 1.
• Thursday's first-round scoring average was 71.987 (+0.987). Last year at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farms, the first-round scoring average was 73.470 (+3.470).
• Peter Senior and John Cook had the only bogey-free rounds today...Mark Calcavecchia made the only eagle (No. 18). In last year's first-round, there was only one eagle made...Jeff Sluman and Gary Hallberg made the most birdies (7) today.
• Jay Haas' 67 Thursday was his eighth consecutive score of par/better on the Champions Tour and his fourth straight score in the 60s. He's now a cumulative 19-under over his last four rounds. Thursday was Haas' 28th appearance at Westchester Country Club. He played 27 events at Westchester on the PGA TOUR and his best finish was T2 in 1984.
• Bob Gilder made his 53rd consecutive start in a senior major championship Thursday, extending his all-time record streak. A winner at Westchester in 1982, Gilder opened with a 5-over 76.
• Defending champion Mark O'Meara opened with a 3-under 68 today (T7). Arnold Palmer (1984-85) is the only player to successfully defend a Constellation Energy Senior Players Championship.