Weather: Players off both the first and 10th tees on both courses. Partly cloudy with highs in the low-60s and winds from the WNW at 5-10 mph.
• Round 2 Leaderboard: 1 -- Ted Schulz (-12)/132; T2 -- Mark Calcavecchia (-9)/135, Tom Kite (-9)/135; 4 -- Tom Pernice, Jr. (-8)/136; T5 -- Jay Don Blake (-7)/137, Olin Browne (-7)/137, Fred Couples (-7)/137, Jay Haas (-7)/137, Scott Simpson (-7)/137
• Ted Schulz carded an 8-under 64 at Pebble Beach and takes a three-stroke lead into the final round of the Home Care & Hospice First Tee Open at Pebble Beach. Playing in the morning, Schulz scattered nine birdies and his only bogey of the day came at the par-3 17th after he three-putted from 15 feet. Schulz, a two-time winner on the PGA TOUR, is in his rookie season on the Champions Tour and is making his 12th start on the circuit this week. Schulz carded a 4-under 68 yesterday at Del Monte Golf Course.
• Schulz's 8-under 64 today was his best round on TOUR since he posted the same number in Round 3 of the 1992 Walt Disney World/Oldsmobile Classic. His previous-best round on the Champions Tour was a 67 in the final round of the Dick's Sporting Goods Open in late June this year.
• Thus far in 2010, there have been 11 Saturday leader/co-leaders that have gone on to win out of the 18 events played. Second-round leaders/co-leaders have won this event four times in the six years the tournament has been played.
|Sunday's Final Pairing|
• Schulz's three-stroke advantage after 36 holes of this year's Home Care & Hospice First Tee Open is not only the largest margin after Saturday at this event, it's also the largest margin after play on Saturday on the Champions Tour since John Cook was up by six strokes after three rounds of the season-ending Charles Schwab Cup Championship in Sonoma, Cal. last year. Loren Roberts enjoyed a two-stroke lead through two rounds last year but finished T5.
• Monterey Peninsula native Bobby Clampett had the low round at Del Monte Golf Course today, posting a bogey-free 6-under 66. Clampett's round today moved him up 30 spots into a T10. Michael Allen made the biggest move upward, jumping 39 spots into a T22 after a 67 at Del Monte today. Tom Watson turned 61 today and shot a 5-under 67. Watson made the biggest move up of the players at Pebble Beach today, jumping 36 spots into a T18.
• In the pro-junior competition, two teams are tied at 15-under 129 through two rounds. Ted Schulz and Brendon Bisceglia from The First Tee of Pine Mountain (Middlesboro, KY) are tied with Tom Kite and Kortnie Maxtopoulis from The First Tee of The Tri-Valley (Pleasanton, CA).
• The stroke average for Round 2 at Pebble Beach was 73.154 vs. 72.359 in Round 1. The scoring average today at Del Monte was 70.846 compared to 70.179 in Round 1. There were only four rounds in the 60s at Pebble Beach today compared to only six sub-70 scores yesterday. There were 12 rounds in the 60s at Del Monte today versus 18 sub-70 rounds there yesterday. Ted Schutz, Tom Kite and Jay Don Blake are the only three players in the field with a pair of rounds in the 60s this week.
• Through 36 holes, the most difficult hole at Del Monte was the par-3 14th (3.218). The hardest hole at Pebble Beach was the par-4 10th (4.385).
• Through 36 holes, Morris Hatalsky has hit the most fairways (25 of 28, 89.29%)...Russ Cochran has hit the most greens in regulation (32 of 36, 88,89%)...Brad Bryant has averaged 24.50 putts per round, the fewest of any player in the field...Ted Schutz has the most birdies (13).