Weather: Players off both the first and 10th tees on both courses. There was a 45-minute delay in starting the opening round at Del Monte Golf Course due to fog. Cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoon with highs in the upper-60s and winds from the WNW at 5-10 mph.
Round 1 Leaderboard: 1 -- Mark Calcavecchia(-8)/DM; 2 -- Tom Pernice, Jr. (-6)/PB; T3 -- Chip Beck (-5)/PB, Olin Browne (-5)/PB, Fred Couples (-5)/DM, Tom Kite(-5)/DM, Wayne Levi (-5)/DM, Scott Simpson (-5)/DM, Bob Tway (-5)/DM
• In his first appearance at the Home Care & Hospice First Tee Open at Pebble Beach, Mark Calcavecchia fired a bogey-free 8-under-par 64 at Del Monte Golf Course, matching the best score ever on that layout at this event. In the first round of the 2006 event, D.A. Weibring shot 64 in the opening round. It was Calcavecchia's first competitive round at Del Monte since 1982 when he played in an open qualifier for the Hawaiian Open, the event following the old Bing Crosby National Pro-Am.
• Mark Calcavecchia's 8-under 64 matched his low round on the Champions Tour. He opened with a 64 on Friday at the 3M Championship and eventually finished second in that event, his top effort in seven previous starts on the Champions Tour.
• Thus far in 2010, there have been four first-round leader/co-leaders go on to win on the Champions Tour. In the six-year history of this event, only two first-round leaders have gone on to win the event. In 2005, Hale Irwin started with a 6-under 66 at Del Monte and went on to victory. Last year, Jeff Sluman opened with a 7-under 65 at Del Monte and eventually won the tournament.
• Today marks the first time Calcavecchia has led a Champions Tour event after the opening round. On the PGA TOUR, Calcavecchia led or co-led after the first round 13 times and went on the win only once, the 2005 Bell Canadian Open. The last first-round leader/co-leader to win on the Champions Tour was Bernhard Langer at this year's Senior British Open.
• Both Calcavecchia and Tom Pernice have had some success at Pebble Beach on the PGA TOUR. Calcavecchia has four top-10 finishes in 14 appearances in the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am and was T4 at the weather-shortened event. Pernice has played in 18 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Ams and has a pair of top-10s, including a runner-up finish to Phil Mickelson at the weather-shortened event in 1998.
• Tom Watson will celebrate his 61st birthday tomorrow. However, Watson's 1-over 73 at Del Monte today ended a streak of 12 consecutive par/better scores at this event.
• Two-time defending champion Jeff Sluman opened with a 4-under-par 68 at Del Monte today, his sixth round in the 60s of seven played at this event. Sluman is bidding to become the first player since Jack Nicklaus to win three straight times at Pebble Beach. Nicklaus won the 1972 Bing Crosby Pro-Am, the 1972 U.S. Open and the 1973 Bing Crosby Pro-Am.
• In the pro-junior competition, there is a three-way tie for the lead. Mark Calcavecchia and Kirsten Keyser of Fresno, CA, Wayne Levi and Stephanie Carlozzi of Naples, FL, R.W. Eaks and Michael Wilson of Middlesboro, KY are the leaders at 9-under 63, the same score that was leading last year after the first round.
• The stroke average for Round 1 at Pebble Beach was 72.359 today vs. 73.205 for Round 1 last year. The scoring average at Del Monte was 70.179 compared to 70.436 in Round 1 last year. There were 17 rounds in the 60s at Del Monte today compared to 14 sub-70 scores on the course in Round 1 last year. There were only six sub-70 scores at Pebble Beach today versus only four sub-70 scores at Pebble Beach for Round 1 a year ago.
• The most difficult hole at Del Monte was the 218-yard, par-3 14th(3.231) and there were no birdies made there today. The hardest hole at Pebble Beach was the 434-yard, par-4 10th (4.385) and there were only three birdies made there (Tommy Armour III, Gary Hallberg, Bill Glasson).
• Greg Bruckner of Manhattan Beach, Cal., a winner of the 1992 New England Classic on the Nationwide Tour, made his Champions Tour debut today and carded a 1-under-par 71 at Pebble Beach. Bruckner shot the low score at the open qualifier on Tuesday, posting a 67 on the Bayonet Course at Fort Ord.
• Calcavecchia, Tom Pernice, Jr., Mark Wiebe, Russ Cochran all both posted bogey-free rounds today...Tom Pernice opened his round with four straight birdies, one short of the 2010 best streak of five in a row by seven different players this year...Fulton Allem, Mark Wiebe and Tim Simpson all hit 13 of 14 fairways today...Mark Wiebe and Russ Cochran hit every green today...Brad Bryant needed only 24 putts.