March 14, 2007
CONOVER, NC - The Greater Hickory Classic Foundation announced today it has donated more than $100,000 from 2006 Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn Presented by Kia Motors net proceeds to 27 area charities, including the following:
• Dale Jarrett Foundation - $33,000 ($15,000 earmarked for Burke, Alexander and Iredell County United Ways)
• Fellowship of Christian Athletes - $25,000
• Hickory Jaycees - $10,000
• Catawba County United Way - $10,000
• Hickory American Legion Fair - $5,000
• Caldwell County United Way - $5,000
• Hickory Metro Sports Commission - $3,500
• Children's Advocacy Center - $3,000
• Humane Society of Catawba County - $3,000
• Piedmont Council Boy Scouts of America - $2,500
• Young Life of Eastern Catawba County - $2,000
• Brett's Ride for Rhabdo - $500
• Hickory Elks Lodge - $500
• Hickory Rotary Club - $500
• Hickory Soup Kitchen - $500
• Kiwanis of Hickory - $500
• Lake Hickory Rotary Club - $500
• Rotary Club of Catawba Valley - $500
• Salesmanship Club of Dallas (designated charity for the black ribbon fund drive in honor of Byron Nelson held tournament weekend) - $500 ($220 collected from fund drive)
• Service League of Hickory - $500
• St. Albans Episcopal Church - $500
• St. Marks Lutheran Church - $500
• Camp Challenge - $250
• Special Olympics, Catawba County - $250
As previously announced, The Corner Table, Inc., in Newton, an annual beneficiary of the tournament since 2004, was chosen as the Champions Tour 2006 Charity of the Year. The organization was presented with a $30,000 check from the Tour during the 2006 Player Awards Dinner Friday, February 16 at the Outback Steakhouse Pro-Am in Tampa, Fla.
The Greater Hickory Classic Foundation's operating philosophy is anchored in giving back to the community - something underscored by the PGA TOUR's "Giving Back: The Heart of the PGA TOUR" initiative. All net proceeds from the tournament are donated annually to charity. Since the tournament's inception in 2003, it has donated more than $400,000 to several area charities.
"As our tournament has grown throughout the years, it's been wonderful to see the number of charities grow with it," said Jim Correll, executive tournament director. "Traditionally the Greater Hickory Classic Foundation has chosen to approach charitable contributions in a different way than most Champions Tour tournaments. Rather than selecting one sole charity, the tournament has opted to spread its donation across several organizations in the Greater Hickory area, virtually guaranteeing the continuation of its impact beyond just one week."
About the Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn Presented by Kia Motors
The Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn Presented by Kia Motors features a week's worth of special events and attractions including exhibitions, pro-ams and three days of Champions Tour competition among some of golf's greatest legends. The tournament returns to Rock Barn Golf & Spa in Conover September 10-16, 2007. Operated by a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation, the tournament annually donates all net proceeds to charities through the Catawba Valley area. Tournament partners include Anheuser-Busch, BB&T, Bank of America, Charter Communications, CommScope, Corning Cable Systems, Draka-Comteq, Duke Energy, GDS, Greater Hickory Metro, Hickory Daily Record, Hickory Furniture Mart, Hickory Printing Group, IFH, Kia Motors America, NorthStar Financial Group, Pepsi, EMBARQ, Wachovia and Zenith Global Logistics Solutions. For more information, call (828) 459-4000, visit www.greaterhickoryclassic.com or stop by the tournament office at Rock Barn Golf & Spa.
About Rock Barn Golf & Spa
Located in Conover, North Carolina, Rock Barn Golf & Spa is consistently recognized as one of the best semi-private golf membership clubs in the region. The facility features two championship-caliber 18-hole golf courses, including the Robert Trent Jones Jr.-designed course that was named the best new course in North Carolina by North Carolina Magazine and rated America's fourth best upscale public course by Golf Digest. Rock Barn Golf & Spa also offers a state-of-the-art luxury spa; a professional tennis center; an equestrian center; dining and event facilities; and an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Rock Barn Realty, LLC, actively develops custom home and townhouse real estate within its gated community. For more information, call (828) 459-1125 or visit www.rockbarn.com.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America - the sales, marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corp. in Seoul, South Korea - offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 630 dealers throughout the United States. For more information, visit www.kiamedia.com.