Notes: Father/Son challenge field boasts 497 titlestext sizeDecember 09, 2013
By Champions Tour staff
News and notes from around the Champions Tour for the week of Dec. 9, 2013
• Kenny Perry won the Jack Nicklaus Award after being voted the Champions Tour Player of the Year for 2013 following his three-win season which included back-to-back major championship victories. Perry also claimed the season-long Charles Schwab Cup. Rocco Mediate was awarded the Rookie of the Year title by his peers following a two-win season and top-10 finishes on both the money list (10th) and Charles Schwab Cup standings (9th). Bernhard Langer won the Arnold Palmer Award for a record fifth time as the leading money winner. Fred Couples claimed the Byron Nelson Award with a 68.64 scoring average for the year.
• The Bruno Award, presented annually to an individual judged to have made special and outstanding contributions to the Champions Tour, went to Jim Kelly, who was once identified as the ‘Voice of the Senior PGA Tour’. Kelly was an announcer for multiple sports over a 40-year period and was the host/commentator for ESPN during the several years the network carried Champions Tour broadcasts.
• Kathy Evans was named the 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year for her loyal service at the Greater Gwinnett Championship, a first-year event won by World Golf Hall of Fame member Bernhard Langer at TPC Sugarloaf in Duluth, Ga. last April.
• Golf Channel will feature the “Champions Tour Year in Review” show at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 9.
• Last week, the 2013 Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic Foundation donated $125,000 to Humanity of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. In four years, the Champions Tour event has raised nearly $350,000 for the Habitat group. The 2014 Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic presented by C Spire will be played at Fallen Oak March 17-23.
• Spain’s Miguel Angel Jimenez won the European Tour’s Hong Kong Open last week just 28 days before he turns 50 and becomes eligible for the Champions Tour.
• Peter Senior was the only Champions Tour player to compete at last week’s Nedbank Challenge in South Africa. Senior finished at the tail of the exclusive 30-man field.
• Three Champions Tour professionals will participate in this week’s Franklin Templeton Shootout in Naples. Tournament host Greg Norman and defending champion Kenny Perry (with teammate Sean O’Hair) will be joined by Mark Calcavecchia in the field. Scott Verplank, who turns 50 in July of 2014, will also play in the event.
• The 20 professionals scheduled to compete in this week’s PNC Father/Son Challenge in Orlando have combined for 497 total wins across the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour. Here are the wins by each player. The first number is total wins. Other numbers are PGA TOUR/Web.com Tour for Stewart Cink and David Duval. The remaining numbers are PGA TOUR/Champions Tour, in that order.
Team number Competitors Wins 1 Stewart Cink/Connor Cink 9 total wins/6/3 2 David Duval/Dean Karavites 15 wins/13/2 3 Steve Elkington/Sam Elkington
10 wins 4 Nick Faldo/Matthew Faldo 9 wins 5 Raymond Floyd/Raymond Floyd Jr. 36 wins/22/14 6 Hale Irwin/Steve Irwin 65 wins/20/45 7 Lee Janzen/Connor Janzen 8 wins 8 Bernhard Langer/Christina Langer 21 wins/3/18 9 Davis Love III/Davis (Dru) Love IV 20 wins 10 Sandy Lyle/James Lyle 6 wins 11 Larry Nelson/Drew Nelson 29 wins/10/19 12 Jack Nicklaus/Jack Nicklaus II 83 wins/73/10 13 Mark O’Meara/Shaun O'Meara 18 wins/16/2 14 Nick Price/Greg Price 22 wins/18/4 15 Dave Stockton/Dave Stockton Jr. 24 wins/10/14 16 Curtis Strange/Tom Strange 17 wins 17 Vijay Singh/Qass Singh 34 wins 18 Lee Trevino/Daniel Trevino 58 wins/29/29 19 Lanny Wadkins/Tucker Wadkins 22 wins/21/1 20 Fuzzy Zoeller/Gretchen Chappo 12 wins/10/2
5 - Five sons of former PGA TOUR winners – Olin Browne, Jr., Jeff Curl, Tyler McCumber, Matt Weibring and Jamison Sindelar – recently advanced to Final Stage of the upcoming Web.com Tour Qualifying Tournament.
DID YOU KNOW?
World Golf Hall of Fame member Ben Crenshaw will host Crenshaw on Golf, a one-hour show airing every other week on SiriusXM PGA TOUR Radio, with the first episode debuting Wednesday, Dec. 11 at 1 p.m. ET. Crenshaw and co-host Ed Clements will share stories from Crenshaw's many years in the sport and discuss golf course design.
QUOTE TO NOTE
“I’m going to act like a nut here for 30 seconds and get them all wound up.” – Fred Couples comment to the fans before raising the Seahawks 12th man flag at last week’s Monday night football game against the Saints.
TWEETS OF THE WEEK
Golf World (@GolfWorld1): Royal Porthcawl has been named Golf Club of the Year, beating off challenges from over 100 clubs, inc Sunningdale, Wentworth and Ganton (NB: Royal Porthcawl will host the 2014 Senior British Open)