Round 1 Notes: Senior U.S. OpenJuly 28, 2011
Dave Senko, Champions Tour staff
Weather: Cloudy with light showers in the early morning hours before clearing and becoming hot and humid. Highs were in the mid-80s with humidity reaching the upper 70s. Winds were from the WSW at 10-15 mph.
• Olin Browne fired his low round on the Champions Tour, a 7-under-par 64, and holds a two-stroke margin over Mark O'Meara and Michael Allen. Browne's 64 was one better than his previous low, a 65 which he had posted three times, including in the final round of last year's U.S. Senior Open.
• Olin Browne's 7-under-par 64 matched the low first-round score in a U.S. Senior Open. Bruce Fleisher set the record in 2000 at Saucon Valley CC in Bethlehem, Pa., while R.W. Eaks (2002 at Caves Valley GC) and Craig Stadler (2005 NCR CC) later matched Fleisher's effort. All three were 7-under par.
• Olin Browne's round included two eagles on his second nine (he started at No. 10). He is the first player to have a pair of eagles in a round at the U.S. Senior Open since Ronnie Black did so in the third round in 2009.
• Bruce Lietzke, who won the event when it was staged here in 2003, withdrew after 13 holes because of a right shoulder injury. The injury flared up this week when he was practicing for the event.
• Craig Stadler withdrew prior to the start of the round with a lower back problem. Stadler had won the U.S. Amateur at the Inverness Club in 1973.
• Daman Green, whose regular job is serving as Zach Johnson's caddie, had an impressive opening round, finishing with a 4-under-par 67 and is T4.
• Steve Jones turned in a nice effort in his first start in a U.S. Senior Open. The 1996 U.S. Open champion shot a 4-under par 67 to get his tournament underway.
• Dale Douglass made his 600th career start on the Champions Tour. It was also his 26th-consecutive U.S. Open appearance, which is a record. Douglass, the winner of the 1986 U.S. Senior Open, had been tied Arnold Palmer with 25 straight appearances before his record-setting start on Thursday. Douglass shot a 7-over-par 78.
• Less than a week after capturing his first major championship at the Senior British Open, Russ Cochran shot a 1-under-par 70 and is tied for 22nd..
• Curtis Skinner had the day's best round by an amateur, shooting an even-par 71 and is tied for 36th.