Schwab Cup Championship: Round 3 notebookNovember 06, 2010
Dave Senko, PGA TOUR staff
Weather: Mostly sunny and pleasant with highs in the low-60s. Winds were from WSW at 5-10 mph. Lift, clean and place rules were in effect.
Current Leaderboard: 1 -- Michael Allen (199/-14); 2 -- John Cook (200/-13); 3 -- David Frost (201/-12); T4 -- Bernhard Langer, Russ Cochran and Tom Lehman (203/-10); T7 -- Tom Pernice Jr. and Mark O'Meara (204/-9); 9 -- Fred Funk (205/-8).
Michael Allen set a new tournament and course record on Saturday when he shot a 10-under-par 61. The 61 broke the tournament record set by John Cook in the second round in 2009 and it also surpassed the course record 64 by Ken Venturi and Colin Montgomerie (opening round/2005 American Express Championship).
Allen posted the fourth 61 in competition this year on the Champions Tour, joining Tommy Armour III (The ACE Group Classic), David Frost (3M Championship) and Gary Hallberg (Ensure Classic at Rock Barn). All came in the final round. Allen's previous low round was a 63 which he did six times the most recent coming at the 2008 Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospital for Children Open. His previous low on the Champions Tour was a 65 at the 2009 Senior British Open.
• Since joining the Champions Tour late in 2007, John Cook has played some of his best golf late in the season (October/November). This is Cook's 14th tournament during that span on the Champions Tour and Cook owns four wins and nine top 10s in those 12 previous starts. Of his 47 rounds (including three at this event), Cook has posted 32 rounds in the 60s.
• With just one round remaining, Fred Couples' chances of capturing the 2010 Charles Schwab Cup remain slim. Couples must win the event and Bernhard Langer must not finish in a two-way tie for fourth place or better. However, Couples is currently T13 (5-under-par 208), nine strokes behind third-round leader Michael Allen. Langer is currently in a three-way tie for fourth place, five strokes in front of Couples.
• In the 20 previous Charles Schwab Cup Championships, a player leading or tied for the lead heading into the final round has won 11 times. However in 14 of those, the player in sole possession of the lead has won eight times. During the years 1990-93 (it was 54-hole event), three of four players who led or were tied for the lead after 36 holes posted victories. Since becoming a 72-hole event in 1994, eight of 16 players who led or shared the lead after 54 holes have won, including five of the last eight winners?Tom Watson (2002), Jim Thorpe (2003 and 2006), Andy Bean (2008) and John Cook (2009).
• In three of the last four years the winner has come from the final group. The exception was in 2007 when Jim Thorpe was in the next-to-last.
• This was John Cook's seventh consecutive round in the 60s in this event and eighth straight this year.
• Sunday's forecast calls for periods of rains in the morning, decreasing in the afternoon. Highs are expected to only be in the upper 50s with winds from the SSW at 10-20 mph.
Player Fairways Hit Greens/Regulation Putts/Round Driving Distance Michael Allen (-14) 28/42 -- 66.7% (T21) 43/54 -- 79.6 % (T2) 27.7 (4) 269.8 (10) John Cook (-13) 33/42 -- 78.6% (T5) 42/54 -- 77.8% (T4) 28.0 (T6) 264.5 (17) David Frost (-12) 32/42 -- 76.2% (7) 42/54 -- 77.8% (T4) 28.0 (T6) 266.2 (14)
• Stats summary of the leaders: