Storylines - 2014 Syncrude Boreal Open presented by AECON
Trends, players to watch and other storylines from this week in Fort McMurray
June 17, 2014
By Brian Decker, PGATOUR.COM
- Cory Renfrew has finished in the top three in each of his two starts here (Claus Andersen/PGA TOUR)
2014 Syncrude Boreal Open presented by AECON Pre-Tournament Notes
Dates: June 16-22, 2014
Course: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Par/Yards: 36-36—72/6,912 yards
2013 champion: Riley Wheeldon
Purse: $150,000/$27,000 (winner)
Format: 72-hole stroke play
Facebook: Syncrude Boreal Open
Twitter: @2014SBO / #2014SBO
PGA TOUR Canada’s second season resumes in Fort McMurray
The 2014 season continues this week with the fourth playing of the Syncrude Boreal Open presented by AECON in Fort McMurray, Alberta, the third stop on this year’s PGA TOUR Canada schedule.
Canadians reign in Fort Mac
Canadians have dominated play at Fort McMurray Golf Club since the inaugural Syncrude Boreal Open presented by AECON in 2011, with all three winners hailing from north of the border. Below are the winners of the tournament’s first three playings:
2011: Danny Sahl (Sherwood Park, Alberta)
2012: Cory Renfrew (Victoria, British Columbia)
2013: Riley Wheeldon (Comox, British Columbia)
Race for The Five taking shape
The top five players on the 2014 PGA TOUR Canada Order of Merit will earn status on the Web.com Tour, making each shot and every dollar important in terms of who will graduate to the Web.com Tour in 2015. With all 50 cards to the PGA TOUR now coming from the Web.com Tour, it’s possible for players to move on from PGA TOUR Canada to the PGA TOUR in just over one year’s time. Here are the standings through the Bayview Place Island Savings Open presented by Times Colonist (bold denotes Canadian):
1. Joel Dahmen - $29,813
2. Josh Persons - $27,545
3. Tim Madigan - $15,252
4. Brock Mackenzie - $13,862
5. Brad Clapp - $13,530
Golf Canada National Amateur Team Exemptions
At each regular PGA TOUR Canada event, two sponsor exemptions will be awarded to current or former members of Golf Canada’s National Amateur Team. Alumni of the team to have played on PGA TOUR Canada include Graham DeLaet, Adam Hadwin and Nick Taylor. Below are the players teeing it up this week:
Corey Conners, Listowel, Ontario
Taylor Pendrith, Richmond Hill, Ontario
Conners and Pendrith are both coming off stellar collegiate careers at Kent State University, the alma mater of former PGA TOUR Canada Order of Merit winners Mackenzie Hughes and Jon Mills. Last week, Pendrith claimed the prestigious Monroe Invitational by two shots over fellow Golf Canada National Amateur Team member Adam Svensson, who is also playing this week on a sponsor’s exemption.
Other Sponsor Exemptions:
Adam Svensson, Surrey, BC
Stuart Anderson, Fort McMurray, AB
Wilson Bateman, Edmonton, AB
Matt Hill, Sarnia, ON
Andrew Parr, London, ON
Jason Vaughan, Fort McMurray, AB
Below are this successful entrants from Open Qualifying, which took place at Fort McMurray Golf Club in Fort McMurray and The Links at Spruce Grove in Edmonton (bold denotes Canadian, * = PGA TOUR Canada member)
Fort McMurray Golf Club
1. Nick Sherwood (Albany, OR) - 66
2. Robbie Greenwell (Georgetown, ON) - 67
T-3. Jesse Speirs* (Bangor, ME) – 69
T-3. Tyler Brown* (Ponte Vedra Beach, FL) – 69
The Links at Spruce Grove
1. Wes Heffernan* (Calgary, AB) – 68
2. Scott Stiles (Calgary, AB) – 71
T-3. Seann Harlingten (West Vancouver, BC) – 72
T-3. Michael Loppnow (South Africa) – 72
T-3. Kevin Spooner (West Vancouver, BC) – 72
6. Ryan Werre (Redcliffe, AB) – 73 (won in 3-for-1 playoff)
Blair, Rask, Quinn have successful weeks Pinehurst
PGA TOUR Canada members Zac Blair, Clayton Rask and Fran Quinn all qualified for the U.S. Open in Pinehurst, North Carolina last week, each making the cut. Blair, an Ogden, Utah native, led the trio of members with a 40th place finish, while Quinn (T-56) and Rask (T-63) also played the weekend.
· Defending champion Riley Wheeldon returns to the site of his breakthrough 2013 win this week
· NEC Series – PGA TOUR Latinoamérica winners in the field: Julian Etulain (2014 Lexus Panama Classic, 2013 Lexus Peru Open), Alan Wagner (2012 Roberto de Vicenzo Invitational Copa NEC), Michael Buttacavoli (2013 Dominican Republic Open), Tommy Cocha (2012 Mundo Maya Open).
· Cory Renfrew returns to Fort McMurray having finished inside the top three in each of his two starts here: 1st (2012) and 3rd (2013).
· Matt Hill, who lost to Cory Renfrew in a playoff in 2012, will play on a sponsor’s exemption this week.
· Past champions in the field: Cory Renfrew (2012), Riley Wheeldon (2013).
· Langley, BC’s Adam Cornelson claimed a win last week at the Vancouver Golf Tour’s Vancouver Open, beating fellow PGA TOUR Canada members Michael Gligic and Riley Wheeldon by a stroke.
· Montreal, Quebec’s Beon-Yeong Lee earned a spot in the RBC Canadian Open on Monday, winning a regional qualifier to gain direct entry into the event July 21-27 at Royal Montreal Golf Club.
Miscellaneous Syncrude Boreal Open presented by AECON Notes
· 36 Canadians are playing this week.
· 9 Alberta natives are in the field: Stuart Anderson (Fort McMurray), Jason Vaughan (Fort McMurray), Wilson Bateman (Edmonton), Riley Fleming (Airdrie), James Love (Calgary), Wes Heffernan (Calgary), Scott Stiles (Calgary), Ryan Were (Red Cliff), Mitch Evanecz (Red Deer).
PGA TOUR Canada alumni notes
· 2004 Order of Merit winner Erik Compton finished T-2 at the U.S. Open last week, his best career finish a major, earning him a spot in the 2015 Masters Tournament.
· 42 PGA TOUR Canada alumni are playing on the Web.com Tour this week at the Air Capital Classic presented by Aetna.