TOUR Stop: Fort McMurray, Alberta
Outdoor adventures and new attractions await in Fort McMurray
June 16, 2014
- The northern lights are commonly seen in the night sky in Fort McMurray (Photo courtesy Fort McMurray Tourism)
Located in north eastern Alberta – Wood Buffalo certainly is a recreational paradise that offers outdoor enthusiasts activities across all four seasons. Fort McMurray’s airport (YMM) will soon open a brand new terminal in June which offers direct flights from major across Canada and the US…bringing travellers closer to our region. Head north to fulfill a dream…to snag a trophy walleye, wrestle a monster pike or land a Northern Alberta laker, fishing Alberta’s north is sure to get you hooked. Locally Fort McMurray offers a slice of history with a visit to Heritage Park and Marine Park beside a heritage river – the Clearwater River. Experience the Energy, come see the Oil Sands for yourself with public tours between May and September or join an aerial tour!
If sport and recreation are more your preference Fort McMurray offers one of the longest days of play for golfers. Stay fit in Canada’s largest recreational facility - MacDonald Island Park which is undergoing a rather impressive expansion…a great addition to our region. Connect with the land in Alberta’s oldest settled community, Fort Chipewyan has over 200 years of rich history on the tip of Lake Athabasca, one of western Canada’s largest lakes. It is not often that a destination has enticed explorers, fur traders and adventure enthusiasts.
The colours of winter are not to be missed, there is true majesty in dancing Northern Lights. How about driving on a winter road – why not try it this winter? Snowshoe or cross-country ski on the vast trail system throughout Fort McMurray and region. Northern Alberta is a snowmobiler’s paradise with hundreds of kilometers of trails, cut lines and navigable waterways to explore. Northern Strong!
Activities to do in Fort McMurray:
1. Heritage Park & Fort McMurray Marine Park,
2. Vista Ridge All Season Park,
3. Experience our Lakes …. We have over 10 fishing lodges in our region,
4. Parks & Trails: Birchwood Trails & our outdoor green gym, Crane Lake Nature Trail, Gregoire Lake Provincial Park,
5. Sports – Syncrude Sports & Wellness Centre, Suncor Community Leisure Centre,
6. Go further – Experience Fort Chipewyan…nestled in some of this country’s most spectacular locales!
7. Wood Buffalo National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Canada’s largest national Park and now the World’s Largest Dark Sky Preserve